Ram Modules. 512 vs 1gig

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JesterJJZ, Aug 15, 2005.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I'm going to be boosting my RAM in my G5 from 2gigs to 4gigs. I have 4x 512mb modules right now which leaves me 4 slots open. Is there any advantage to getting 2x 1gig sticks vs 4 more 512 ones? Other than having 2 open slots and the 512 sticks being cheaper of course. I mean is there any technical advantage of using less but larger modules? I don't plan on going beyond 4gigs total with this machine.

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope, not really apart from future upgradeability and therefore future resale price. :)

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I see.... I know I have to install RAM in pair with the G5s. If I get 2x 1gig sticks now, can I get 2 more down the road for a total of 6gigs? Or do I need to go all the way up to 8 gigs?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll be fine with 6GB if you really want to go that high.

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Probably won't hurt when running FCP, Maya, Combustion and After Effects, etc. :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, so you do plan on going above 4GB then? Definitely get the 1GB modules. :)

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Runs a little faster with the less DIMMs you use to get to a certain amount of ram.