Ram on a budget: where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by invaLPsion, Jul 2, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I am looking into purchasing a 512 by 2 upgrade pair for my future powermac G5. I'd like to keep the price around or below $170. I'd also like the ram to have a lifetime warranty. Any suggestions on where to buy or where has quality ram? :confused:

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't really know where to find cheap RAM, but you could always try Newegg RAM. They usually have pretty good prices, but I know the G5 is pickey about RAM....

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

There's nothing worse than wasting your money on inexpensive RAM that you find out wont' work with your system. I've done it before because I was trying to keep my costs as low as possible. I bought (what I thought was) the same chip, except I didn't use a "Memory Configurator". Well, it didn't work, and I had to return the RAM and pay a huge restocking fee. You are much better off buying good quality RAM (and yes, there *is* a difference) and paying a little extra.

To answer your question, most people will reccomend Crucial for your RAM needs.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

search old threads for this... somebody asks this *exact* question every other month or so... :rolleyes:

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

ALL RAMs come w/ Life Time warranty, it's the ones that says it just to selling something you have to watch out for. But for $170, it's all about getting the cheapest RAM, so who gives a fudge. You better hope the company that sold you the RAM doesn't go under after you bought the RAM. Get Crucial, or get it from somebody's G5.

6. jhomayne macrumors regular

one question

if i order an ibook from apple and a 512mb stick from crucial, can i just pop the extra RAM in straightaway or do i have to charge the ibook up, turn her on and so the set-up?

ta

7. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Turn it on, get everything setup, then put in the ram is what is recommended. When I got a new powerbook I just popped it in before I even started it up once. Everything ran fine...

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can pop it it right away. But... it's better to boot the system first and make sure it runs OK and isn't DOA before you start mucking with it. Only takes a few more minutes, and probably will be a waste of time... but, on the off chance you get a DOA, it's worthwhile to do this.

And as far as G5 RAM is concerned: absolutely - get good, qualified RAM. I got mine from Kingston almost 10 months ago. Surely someone else has better prices on RAM of similar quality now, but it's worth some premium in cost to make sure it will work.

9. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'm buying crucial today. They have some good deals right now...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

10. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

According to Tom's hardware guide, Corsair has the best dual channel RAM. I too am getting a dual 2.5 G5

To this day, I STILL don't know whether the timings needed to run the G5 are different than standard timings. I asked before, but I guess I'll ask again.

All I hear on this forum is "buy one of these two brands" well Corsair's the best, but will it work with my system?

I saw one crucial reseller that said their timings were so different to work with the G5, that the RAM would no longer work with a PC. This is making me really nervous about buying 3rd party RAM, however I'll be stuck with 512 in my G5 if I don't.

So please, someone who knows for sure (and no one who doesn't): what are the timings I should be using for the new G5?