Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I am looking into purchasing a 512 by 2 upgrade pair for my future powermac G5. I'd like to keep the price around or below $170. I'd also like the ram to have a lifetime warranty. Any suggestions on where to buy or where has quality ram? :confused:

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
There's nothing worse than wasting your money on inexpensive RAM that you find out wont' work with your system. I've done it before because I was trying to keep my costs as low as possible. I bought (what I thought was) the same chip, except I didn't use a "Memory Configurator". Well, it didn't work, and I had to return the RAM and pay a huge restocking fee. You are much better off buying good quality RAM (and yes, there *is* a difference) and paying a little extra.

To answer your question, most people will reccomend Crucial for your RAM needs.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
ALL RAMs come w/ Life Time warranty, it's the ones that says it just to selling something you have to watch out for. But for $170, it's all about getting the cheapest RAM, so who gives a fudge. You better hope the company that sold you the RAM doesn't go under after you bought the RAM. Get Crucial, or get it from somebody's G5.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
one question

if i order an ibook from apple and a 512mb stick from crucial, can i just pop the extra RAM in straightaway or do i have to charge the ibook up, turn her on and so the set-up?

ta

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
jhomayne said:
one question

if i order an ibook from apple and a 512mb stick from crucial, can i just pop the extra RAM in straightaway or do i have to charge the ibook up, turn her on and so the set-up?

ta

Turn it on, get everything setup, then put in the ram is what is recommended. When I got a new powerbook I just popped it in before I even started it up once. Everything ran fine...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jhomayne said:
one question

ta

You can pop it it right away. But... it's better to boot the system first and make sure it runs OK and isn't DOA before you start mucking with it. Only takes a few more minutes, and probably will be a waste of time... but, on the off chance you get a DOA, it's worthwhile to do this.

And as far as G5 RAM is concerned: absolutely - get good, qualified RAM. I got mine from Kingston almost 10 months ago. Surely someone else has better prices on RAM of similar quality now, but it's worth some premium in cost to make sure it will work.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
According to Tom's hardware guide, Corsair has the best dual channel RAM. I too am getting a dual 2.5 G5

To this day, I STILL don't know whether the timings needed to run the G5 are different than standard timings. I asked before, but I guess I'll ask again.

All I hear on this forum is "buy one of these two brands" well Corsair's the best, but will it work with my system?

I saw one crucial reseller that said their timings were so different to work with the G5, that the RAM would no longer work with a PC. This is making me really nervous about buying 3rd party RAM, however I'll be stuck with 512 in my G5 if I don't.

So please, someone who knows for sure (and no one who doesn't): what are the timings I should be using for the new G5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.