RAM options for MP 3,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kingsly, Jun 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

After a good five year run, the ram in my MP finally gave up this weekend. Why does this stuff always happen when there's a deadline? :confused:

What options do I have in finding good 800mhz DDR2 sticks for this machine? Seems to have been entirely replaced with DR3, and thus is becoming very hard to come by. Do I have to stay Mac specific or can I use sticks designated for a PC application? Any good known alternatives out there?

2. macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2004
  3. Kingsly, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks! The stuff that went down was OWC and I'm awaiting a warranty replacement, but honestly I always needed more than the 6gb I had.

It absolutely has to be ECC, right?
    Has anyone any experience with using a non "apple approved" heat sink?
  4. macrumors 68030

Sep 15, 2006
    New York City, NY

5. macrumors regular

May 14, 2008
    3.1 ram

last night I found 16 gigs of 800mhz DDR2 for 250. If shopping on Ebay isn't your thing, OWC carries ram for mac pro's all the way back to 1.1
  6. macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2012
    I would advise you to stay away from Mac Ram Direct.

I bought 32Gb of ram from them for my 2008 mac pro. The batch was bad and slowly over time had failures from it. While they did eventually replace the batch - I had too much back and forth with them and condescending attitude that I would not use them in the future. Buyer Beware!
  7. macrumors regular

May 14, 2008
    yes it does

I'm not the resident expert in the room but I believe the ram must be ECC.
  8. macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2007
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    You try switching them RAM around to different slots? That sometimes helps me out getting it to recognize again. OWC to me is the cheapest and most solid around. Haven't had any major issues with them.