Ram or 10.2

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TimDaddy, Aug 10, 2002.

?

Should I buy more memory or OSX 10.2??

Poll closed Aug 15, 2002.
  1. Memory

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. OSX 10.2

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I have an iMac G4, 800mhz with the 256 mb of memory that came with it. It can be pretty slow at times. I'm sure a memory upgrade will help, but have also heard that OS 10.2 is a lot faster. I can only afford to do one or the other right now. Which should I do first?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

10.2 will give you more than just speed improvements. You'll also get improved functionality/stability from the OS and most apps.

Memory prices are still dropping these days, so I'd hold off...unless you're doing a lot of video/audio/graphics work that requires a ton of memory. For general web browsing/email you'll be fine with 256.

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

go with 10.2 Everyone that's tried it says that there's a dramatic speed increase....

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah, Probably 10.2 would make the ride on the supercomputer seem much more effecient and worthwile, because of the speed increases and what have you.

Besides, with extra memory, you won't get Sherlock 3, iChat, or a white Pro Mouse in the System Pref. Pane. :p

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i would have to say to get 10.2, but i did hear the other day that all Macs benefit from having more RAM... but i'd still say to go for 10.2, and then get some more RAM later.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

RAM will always be a concern no matter which version of Mac OS X you use, especially with a slow hard drive. However, the stability and speed improvements in 10.2 will be worth waiting a bit longer for the memory.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you'll see more benefits from 10.2 then you will from more RAM - go for the software

D

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Get Both!!! ;)
    10.2 is around the corner. So buy Jaguar first, and then buy more Ram, because memory will be ever cheaper later this month.:D

9. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I've never seen everyone agree on here before! I guess 10.2 it is. Memory can wait a couple of months, after I've recouped from buying my new Kindergartener's school clothes!

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

how would you know that, especially after the fact that memory prices have been rising sharply since late July?

11. macsurfer macrumors regular

Get 10.2 first but put as much memory in as you can asap. I have 640mb in my iMac DVSE 500mhz and it runs OS X beautifully. I have no complaints. However, I'm upping my RAM to 1024mb very soon.