Ram or Internal Graphics issue? (Macbook)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Omad0n, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Hi all, i don't use the mac much as a gaming machine but I am trying to figure out if the one game that I do play, YoHoHoPuzzlePirates is getting so mucked, because of the lack of ram in the stock machine (512 mb) or because of the internal graphics. It runs mine in my 1.67Ghz 17in Powerbook, with 1.5gigs ram, so I kinda suspect it's the ram, but wasn't sure, and knowing will help me decide if i'm going to get teh macbook or not. Also, just to note, the game in question is a java program. Thanks for any and all help.
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I just took a very quick look at the game, and it appears to be platform-independant Java. That being the case, there's no issue with your computer being an Intel, and it definitely doesn't look graphics-intensive enough for the graphics to be the issue.

512MB RAM, however, probably is. The OS is in tight enough territory with 512MB on a machine with integrated graphics, and running a fairly large, complex Java app sounds like a recipe for RAM use.

You'll enjoy the computer a lot more if you upgrade to at least a gig of RAM, and it'll probably clear up your game performance issues, too. Just remember to upgrade in pairs, as that will make the integrated graphics much happier.