Ram placement

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Okay..for the DP G4s, there are 4 slots for ram. Does it matter if you place the 256MB in the first slot and 2 512s in the other 2. Or would it be faster if I put the 512 in the first slot, and the 256 in the last. you know what i mean?

2. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Sorry that I don't know more about this, but I think it is supposed to be better if you put the larger ram (in megabytes, not size) in the first slot. Thats what I thought I did, but looking at the system profiler, I find that my 512 is not in the first slot :( oh well, my computer still runs very well.

3. GetSome681 macrumors regular

doesn't really matter...your ram will always be as fast as the slowest piece you have in there (latency wise)

now on pc mobos w/ things like dual channel ddr then yes placement does matter but for you, no

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No the placement doesn't matter, but you should try for the faster ram I think 133, 166.

But the 512 or 256 placement doesn't matter.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Ram placement

I'm not sure what G4 you have but unless you ram slots are labeled like A1, B1 and A2, B2. There is no advantage. Apple use to use a process called memory interleaving on the older PowerMacs to increase memory speed by accessing two chips as one. That isn't the case on the new machinery as the new chips are not the slowest part of the architecture as they were in the past.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

put the 2 512's in first and second, then the 256 in last. memory slots are used in order 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

it is best to have biggest first, so that you have less usage of multiple slots during normal operation. the more slots used, the slower it gets (not enough to notice, more a piece of mind thing).

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If memory is used in the order of slot 1 being first and slot 4 being last I would put the larger ones in the last slots. My reasoning? Well it seems that the most memory and processor intensive tasks are the apps you run correct? Well if the ram is in the first slots then the system is going to use those chips for storage as it is the first application to load. Leaving only part of the first chips and the smaller chips to the general apps you run on top of the system.