Ram plus Photoshop need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 23, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How much ram do i need in the 1.33 ibook to really get photoshop movin, right now me and my friend are using 256 and its not to bad, we rendered a photo in about 10 seconds. But we want it to be faster

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have a new iBook and have 1.25g ram and it's quick but I use Elements which should be the same for what you are asking ;) As far as seconds go I haven't really timed it but it is faster than when I only had the 256.
    I'll try to do a photo within the next day or so and time it, hope this helps you out some. :rolleyes:

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Where did the extra ram you got really shine the most when using your computer?

4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

how funny, i just upgraded my ram and came here to find out how to update prebinding...and stumbled across this thread.

i can tell you this, i went from 512 to 1gig and im not impressed. but i have a 667 powerbook so its the processor...i also have a 7200 hard drive.

if ram wont give you the improvements your looking for, your only other option would be to create an external drive array. that would definetly speed things up.

for me...well, with 1gig i cant even work in Indesign effectively so this powerbook will end up being some type of expensive dvd player/web browser. i'll need to get a real system in order to work efficiently.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There is a program called Do I Need More Memory? that will tell you how much more RAM you need for the way you work.

Even with that I would suggest that you consider maxing the RAM out. Long term you will save money if you find out later that you need more. There is a 1GB stick that people have mentioned here from OUTPOST.COM for like $160. I bought mine from OWC (best price right now seems to be $237).

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Everything was faster when I upped my PB from 256 to 768.
    Especially when you are running multiple apps.
    256 is too little to run OSX decent. Get atleast 256 more.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

CaptainCaveMann
    The areas I got the most out of were playing Simcity4, get the new patch for this and it helps out alot also (this is my 2nd iBook that I'm using since DEC 4-first one had bad video/logic board). I did notice some diff. when I went to 1.25g ram but I'm just learning to use flash for my 2d cartoons so it maybe to soon to tell with that. Using iMovie seems good but I should say that my last Mac was a 800G4 eMac 1g ram/7200 HD and my ibook seems faster than that with what I have used so far.
    I will be getting an external HD 7200 ( in a few more days):D that I plan on cloning and using when working with photos or iMovie so I should get a better comparison for speed/performance.
    I will keep you posted on this and hope this helps out :)

8. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thanks! a lot man i look forward to your updates :D

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I upgraded from 256MB ram to 1028MB ram on an iBook and use PS a lot, I have no regrets its fast even rendering filters, saving takes some time however that is because its a 4200 rpm HDD so I am worried still quite happy with it.

And it also depends on what type and how large an image file you are working on I work on 200-600+MB single image files that are 16bit, SWOP enabled along with 600+ dpi so working with under a gig of ram is just painful.

Plus, I also run multiple apps in the background with no hinderance in my workflow. :)

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

does anyone know if you can put a 1gig chip in the old tibook 667? i was told they dont make a PC133 144pin 1gig so-dimm.

thanks.