RAM: Price vs. Quality. Too cheap? Advice would be great!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arainert, Feb 7, 2005.

1. arainert macrumors member

Dec 10, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am looking for a 1GB chip for my new 12" powerbook and wondering if one should be skeptical of super cheap RAM or is all RAM created (relatively) equal? On another thread I saw someone posted this :

Premium 1GB DDR PC2700 - 159.99

and that seems considerably cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere. Can anyone vouch for going cheaper on the RAM or does it have its potential drawbacks, and if so, what would they be?

Thanks so much!

2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    The only things you really need to look for is if the chip has been certified to work in a mac and if it has a lifetime warranty. After that, find the cheapest RAM you can get.

Unfortunately I don't see anywhere in that link that says it will work in a mac, so unless you can find a reference to this (or email the company and ask) I would assume it won't work (macs are kind of picky about RAM)
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    either the RAM works or doesn't work - you get lots of kernel panic, usually.

places that charge more claim that theirs are of higher quality so they are more likely to work. but even if the RAM is cheap, if it works, it works.

i think the RAM you mentioned has been tried by others and if it's not a faulty unit, it works fine.

i'd check their return policy in case yours end up being one of those that doesn't work.
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I have purchased that ram and all is gooood! The ram for my iBook was just a little higher (not sure why) They have a 30 day return then its up to the manufacture and for an extra $10 next day delv. Tigger direct had ram w/lifetime for $210. Just google for memory.
    Hope this helps :)
  5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    Also you need to know the CAS lagicy because that number can heavy effect system profmeic. Also it general not a good idea to go with a no name stick of ram always go with some name brand ram (their are a lot to choose from, coisair, kingston, Cruitible, Musikin and so on)

You get cheap ram you get cheap profomics out. You get what you pay for
  6. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    no you don't. in general, RAM either works or it doesn't. if you buy cheaper brands, there might be an increased chances of it not working, but if it's functional, it works, period. the performance is the same no matter how much you spend. (in general, esp. if the specs are the same. if specs are the same, working RAM from any brand at any price will pretty much do the same thing in your computer.)

you pay for improved chances of the RAM working and warranty.
  7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I was told when I was building my computer was not to cheap out on the ram and make sure you get quility stuff and make sure it is from a name brand. No names have to much of a risk.
  8. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    that's because there is higher chances of RAM being defective if they are cheap, not because they would be underperformant.

for the last time: generally, RAM either works or it doesn't.
  9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

correct but cheap ram generaly have cheap specs. That ram above does not even show is specs so I just going to assume that the specs are poor and it would only hurt you system performance. make sure what ever ram you use has a CAS 3 or less other wise it just slows you down.
  10. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

Jan 12, 2005
    I'm not sure what you mean by "poor specs" in memory, but I can vouch for this 1 gig module. I bought the same module from outpost.com and it works well in my powerbook.

I agree with jxyama. For the most part, you pay Kingston and Crucial more because they'll sell memory modules that they've tested with your machine.

People will always tell you to spend as much as you can on memory or a power supply, etc... when building or upgrading a machine, but you just have to figure what you need and what you can spend. Don't buy something expensive just because someone said expensive is better... anyways that's my rant...
  11. jliechty macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2003
    Says the product is currently unavailable, so unless you already ordered it doesn't matter anyway
  12. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

On the PSU people say go name brand and not to go cheap on them for a reason. Cheap power supply will save you a few bucks. THat is until the power supply goes bad and takes everything hook up 2 it. cheap power supplies are unrelieble. People say pay the money for good ram because the specs on it are better and it is clear you dont know what that means but the CAS lag is a number you want 3 or less by 3.5 the effects on the system become noticible if you run at 3 or less before.

You pay for a better chance of the ram being good and for general it being better.

For PSU You NEVER and I mean NEVER go cheap on that because if it goes bad it becomes very costly. All of sudden that 30 bucks you saved by going cheap on the PSU end up costing 500-1000 worth of repairs. Also cheap power supply do have effects on system stability a good PSU is going to keep the system more stable and feed a much cleaner power to the computer it self.
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    How soon before 1GB DIMMs come down in price parity to 512MB sticks? I am waiting to upgrade my Dual G5 with more than the 1.25GB I have currently. My G5 is slow as hell lately when FCP, Photoshop and After Effects are open at the same time. I can't get any work done.
  14. sirius1722 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Seattle-area, WA
    I also have that Outpost RAM in my 12" PB and I've had it in there for about 6 months now and it has only made my life easier.

Generally, the rule with RAM is, you buy a cheaper brand, you risk it not working with your compy. Better brands have been tested and you usually know they will work, but for most computers, Macs included, if it works, it works! Macs can be finicky about memory, but if it works for one person, chances are it will work on yours.

I don't think I've seen cheap RAM with specs above a CAS of 3..... Even the budget brands usually have a CAS of 3 or lower. The only time you really shouldn't skimp on memory is when you're building a high performance machine like a game box or server, but like I said, for most other things, if it works, it works! But that's my opinion, take it as you will :cool:
  15. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    it will probably be a while. the 1 GB SODIMMs came out in masses about a year and a half ago - and then it was around $700. it has come down quite a bit, but still got a bit more to go to get around $100 or under. a year, maybe?
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Generally true.

I spent one Friday where my 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 machine re-booted over 30 times. Once the Kingston ValueRAM was removed, it had no further problems.

Yes, the machine and the RAM worked, but it did not work reliably.