RAM prices - buying suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JHacker, Oct 2, 2006.

1. JHacker macrumors 6502

Aug 27, 2006
    East Coast
    This may have come up a few times but I haven't seen it that recently so I figured I'd get an update.

I have 1 GB of RAM in my MBP (2x512mb) and I would like to upgrade to 2GB (2x1gb). My girlfriend has a MB with 512 (2x256mb) RAM so she's going to take my 1 GB and I'm going to upgrade to 2 gb. But since I purchased my extra 512 piece from Other World Computing, the prices pretty much skyrocketed.

Are RAM prices going to come back down or should I just buy it at this price? (about $270 for 2gb). And if they are coming down, when can I expect this?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    RAM prices will likely remain high through the holidays. It remains to be seen how much they'll drop afterwards...depends on how much the manufacturers are able to ramp their DDR2 production and in what volumes PC users continue to buy it up in preparation for Vista.
  3. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    yeah, this has come up a lot recently. I started one thread just 10 days or so ago... I think the main suggestions were: look out for offers on New Egg or check out ebay. I got 2GB from ebay for $170 ish just last week, you can probably do better.

The time until prices go down seems to vary depending on who you ask. On one retail site I came across, the store was suggesting prices would go down possibly before the holidays, but more likely not until next year...

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Here are my theories on why RAM prices are going up:

A bunch of computers were just purchased for back to school season. Those are a ton of laptops (and desktops) that need to be upgraded. Increased demand = increased prices.

Also, you have Christmas/Holliday season coming up. With electronics becoming popular gifts, why not from a business perspective jack up prices.

However, I have never really tracked RAM prices to see if prices correspond with times of year or not.