Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
wrxguy said:
you can find that cheaper....i got my additional 1G stick for about 120

I don;t need it, I am just making a general statement on the price of RAM - up about 60 dollars a gig in a month.

Crucial - have had much bad luck from the "other suppliers."

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
No, the problem is that most of the fabs are switching to cranking out DDR-2 chips, so there is no longer a glut of cheap DDR components on the market. DDR PC2100 is going up the fastest, as assemblers abandon making them, PC3200 is following upwards, this is most evident in 1 Gb DIMMs.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
CanadaRAM said:
No, the problem is that most of the fabs are switching to cranking out DDR-2 chips, so there is no longer a glut of cheap DDR components on the market. DDR PC2100 is going up the fastest, as assemblers abandon making them, PC3200 is following upwards, this is most evident in 1 Gb DIMMs.

So are you telling me to buy now, it's only going up?

I like to have spares.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iGary said:
So are you telling me to buy now, it's only going up?

I like to have spares.

There will be weekly (daily) fluctuations up and down, but the general trend is up for DDR DIMM products, to be followed later by DDR SODIMMs, unless some factory decides there is enough demand still and tries to capture the market with extra production.

SODIMMs use a different chip design from most DIMMs, and most laptop manufacturers have not switched to DDR-2 yet, so the effect on Powerbook RAM will be delayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.