Ram Purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spoonie1972, Nov 14, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy 64gigs of ram for my 4,1 pro (flashed to 5,1).

I realize that for the moment, I don't need anything faster than 1067mhz ram.

Firstly, If I buy all the same brand in 1333mhz trim, future-proofing myself for an update, will it simply 'clock down' and work with my current 2.26ghz chips?

Secondly, are these machines super-picky with "ram timings" etc, or will most off-the-shelf 1333 chips from my local canada-computers store do the trick? I've never had a problem with fast PC's and kingston/corsair/mushkin - or heck- even "a-data" brand ram.

Opinions welcome. I just look at the prices for ram on macsales.com for the latest desktop machines and shake my head.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

It should just clock down... but I assume you are still looking at ECC, yes? Especially for large amounts of RAM.

4. GermanyChris, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Remember this isn't a fast computer in the sense that you're talking about. OC'd PC's can be picky with RAM but most Mac's are good if you're in the ball park.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

am i in the Sterling Archer Danger Zone if i go non-ecc?

Primary Use: Logic Audio, Kontakt (mega libraries in ram), with video playing.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

has anyone here, specifically, suffered any ill effects running 64gb of non-ecc?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

instead of messing around, ended up buying 16gb x 2 modules from OWC, 1333. might as well future-proof and allow for gobs of ram to be installed as I need it.