Ram Question & Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by julian of amber, Feb 3, 2007.

1. julian of amber macrumors newbie

I just saw this link and I thought the price is a fair deal.

Kingston 256 MB DDR 333 MHZ SODIMM

If I buy this, can I make this work with my Ibook G4? I'm waiting for you advices. Thanks in advance. :)

P.S : I know the link is not in English, but model/tech. specifications in English, so I suppose it shouldn't be a big deal.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It depends,
    - if you still have a free slot
    - if this is the kind of ram your iBook needs

Personally, I would go for a larger sized one, 512 minimum. Your iBook will go a lot faster if you max the ram.

3. Queso macrumors G4

OK, I can't get the link to work, but I can tell you that all iBook G4s took PC2700 DDR SODIMMs running at 333MHz, so as long as it meets those specs, it should work fine.

4. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

link gives only these specifications:

Kingston 256 MB DDR 333 MHZ SODIMM

Memory Type: DDR
    Capacity (Mb): 256MB 333 Mhz
    Other: NOTEBOOK RAM

Do you think can this work with Ibook G4?:confused:

If so, I'll go and buy it :) .

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't trust sites I don't know. Check datamem.com. You'll get the RAM you need for a fair price.

6. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, this is not a online seller. It's a webpage of a local oem seller. If ram is the right one, I'll go there , which is 10 km's from here, and buy the ram :).

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. Unless the RAM is Mac guaranteed, no one can tell you if it will work.

2. Sites like Crucial or Datamem allow you to pick the computer you have and they will tell you which RAM you need.

3. Doesn't the iBook only support 1 stick?

8. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I know that, I don't seek for any guarantees. I was just asking your ideas if this may work or not. I'm not good at the tech stuff :rolleyes:

2. Yep, I already used them. As I mentioned above, I'm not good at tech stuff, so I can't say those ram's are same with this or not.

3. Yeah, it only has one stick which is empty by now. Default ram comes with the machine attached to the mainboard already.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If your "not good at the tech stuff", then I really recommend you going with a reputable Mac RAM retailer. Macs are very picky about RAM. The number of chips, timing, etc have to be just right. Just because the basic specs are right, doesn't mean the RAM will work.

10. Angrist macrumors 6502

If you're buying RAM ... don't bother with small upgrades.
    Get a full gig stick if it's under $100. Otherwise, get a 512MB stick.

OS-X just feasts on RAM, and the more you give it the better your experience will be.

11. kakapo macrumors member

kakapo

i think this is incorrect...

i'm looking to buy RAM for my 14" iBook G4 1.33GHz. crucial.com says DDR PC 2700 333MHz. datamemorysystems.com says DDR PC2100 266MHz. store.apple.com says DDR PC2100 266 MHz for the 512MB stick and DDR PC2700 333MHz for the 1GB stick (obviously someone asleep in quality control at store.apple.com). i would presume the specs for the computer are the authority and they say PC2100 266MHz (http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/iBook_G4_Late_2004.html)

i'm planning on going with the PC2100 based on this but it's strange that there's so much misinformation out there... also, crucial doesn't even seem to sell PC2100 memory or else i just can't figure out how to find it on their site.

thanks for any clarification anyone can provide,
    erik