RAM Question for Mid 2011 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bawuva, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bawuva, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

macrumors newbie

I received my refurb 27" iMac earlier this week - looks brand new but I didn't get any of the free upgrades others have received (just had the 4GB of RAM).

I ordered 4 x 8 GB Crucial RAM for a total of 32GB. I just installed all four and when I tried to turn the computer on it just sat there. Any idea what might be wrong? I used the Crucial website and entered "mid 2011 27inch iMac" so assume I was set RAM that is compatible. The iMac seems to say it will only allow a max of 16GB but seems like I've read that 32GB is fine. Any ideas?

----------

I just tried to put back the original 4GB of RAM and now when I try and turn it on it just makes some loud beeping sounds. Am I installing this incorrectly? Maybe I haven't pushed hard enough and they are not set in there all the way?

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed It

UPDATE: I didn't have them pushed in far enough. Installed 32GB correctly this time and I'm good to go :)

3. macrumors newbie

I bought and installed the same ram but when my imac goes to sleep, screen stays black when I try and wake it. Everything else seems to be running fine except for not coming back on once asleep. Do you have any issue with this?