RAM question for PowerMac G5 rev. A

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Jun 24, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

I have a 1.6Ghz G5...I want to buy RAM for the machine and I know it takes PC3200 DDR 400. The stock 2X128 chips inside are PC2700 (DDR 333) though. Now I know there are high density chips and low density chips out there. What's the difference?

I bought a pair of 512's before and I didn't check to see if they were high or low density.... i put them in and they worked fine. I bought 2X1Gb PC3200 and it would not register on my Mac. I took it to a friend who had PC and I put the chips into the Windows machine and windows didn't recognize the modules.

Will high density chips register on the G5?

2. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok... I checked out the chips...they are low density... but they still won't register on any computer...Mac or PC.... i contacted the dealer and they said that the chips are single channel... will installing single channel RAM modules NOT let it register on the Mac?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The dealer is full of @#^$%.

The ONLY difference between single channel and dual channel DIMMs is --- there are two of them, and the two have to match. Take any 2 matching modules and put 'em in the machine at the same time - voila, they are Dual Channel. You do need to install the RAM in pairs in the G5, in the proper matching sockets (check your manual)

I would venture that those DIMMs are simply defective or out of spec. Get your money back in any case.

The G5 is more sensitive to the Serial Presence Detect settings of the RAM than most PCs, which is why I recommend that you purchase from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model machine, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if they don't work.

(for example the dealer above *should* be reimboursing you all of your money, plus paying for return shipment. Unfortunately, many will not only not refund shipping, but hit you with a restocking fee as well. Those are dealers to avoid.)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. I purchased these modules on the 13th...paid via Paypal...and they shipped it out on the 20th....got to my house the 23rd. Who knows how long its going to take for the RMA process to occur.

The store policy states they do not do refunds, but only exchanges. Maybe its possible to file a complaint via Paypal?

I think I'll just go to Bestbuy today and pick up 2x512's for the meantime to hold me off because running stock 256mb (2x128) on the G5 is killing me after having 1.25Gb RAM before. I knew trading my 1Gb for an iPod would hurt me for a while.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oh dear.
    Unfortunately, a textbook example of Penny Wise - Pound Foolish

Paypal is likely just going to say - take the warranty exchange, that's what you contracted for. Unfortunately, you're going to get stung for the shipping costs.

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... I filed a complaint with Paypal. I tried to do the RMA on the dealer's website, but before I go through with it all, they state that they will replace it after they check it to make sure it really doesn't work. IF they find out its working, they will hold onto it, charge me $35 service fee, and charge me for shipping cost. Now these modules cost me ~$25 to ship priority and the RAM modules weren't even in a box, but both sticks were side by side on another in one anti-static bag. Man...if I lived in Los Angeles... I would kick/scream/curse until i got working modules.

7. supramac macrumors newbie

I hate to see anybody get ripped off. Don't worry about the seller RMA, just place a copy of the invoice you recived when you paid for the item by PayPal. Go ahead and ship the items back to the seller and BE SURE to send it by USPS First class mail with a DELIVERY confirmation number ($0.50). Now make sure to enter the Delivery Confirmation number on Paypal website and ESCALATE the claim. Although it takes about 4 weeks, you should be able to get your money back from Paypal.