ram question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by beez7777, Oct 14, 2002.

1. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Hello everyone, i have the standard 256 mb in my 17" iMac, and i wanna throw in another 256. 18004memory.com has it for $26 and seems to be dropping by the day, while crucial is charging $90. i've only heard good things about crucial, nothing about 1-800-4memory. my question is is there a quality difference between the two, because 26 dollars seems a lot more appealing. ill probly wait till it drops a few more dollars, but has anyone had any problems with 18004memory?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: ram question

I've been using 18004Memory for years. I've never had a problem with there ram or them and they have always had some of the lowest prices. In my oppinion all that matters is that it has a lifetime guarantee and that they say it will work in a Mac. All the memory I know of for macs at 18004Memory has both as far as I know.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Just make sure it is for your computer. The Flat Panel iMac uses a SO-DIMM (like notebooks) for the user accessable RAM slot, and not all cheap RAM will work, even if it is a SO-DIMM. Remember the firmware update that disabled bad RAM. I've had cheap RAM nightmares myself, so I know how much of a headache it could be.

Personnally I'd go with Old World Computing. $28.

http://eshop.macsales.com

4. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

yea go to www.ramseeker.com they compare prices on every model. thats where i check. 18004memory ram has been decreasing in price at about $1.00 every few days. thanks for all your help

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i have bought mac ram from 1800, mohawkmem.com, and crucial

i was happy with all of their service and product.

my favorite is mohawkmem.com, i strongly recommend checking them out. beware of a price that is "too" cheap, i just get suspicious.