RAM Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DanielGilbert, Dec 24, 2006.

1. DanielGilbert macrumors member

Jun 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I confess: I tried to be clever and get RAM for my Macbook from Amazon for a lower price than somewhere like Crucial or Kingston. :(

The result? I've ended up with a 1gb stick of RAM that's twice the length that it should be, and there is no way in hell that it'll fit into my little white laptop.

My question is this: I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop which could also do with a bit of a RAM boost, and the RAM stick that I have looks as if it could fit.

I've taken one of the RAM sticks out of my Dimension and it seems to be the same model as the RAM here (http://www.com-com.co.uk/M378T3253FGO-CCC.ihtml), from Googling the model number on the back.

The Amazon thing that I've got is a Kingstong KVR667D2N5/1G Here

I can see that the specs are slightly different, but would the Amazon stick work in the Dell machine?
  2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    best thing to do would be to go onto crucial and see what it recommends in the way of RAM for your Dell on there and if they are the same then it should be fine. But if it isn't the same model but the same size DO NOT INSTALL IT as it can have a terrible effect on your computer if you put the wrong RAM in.
  3. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    The first link is dead, however the second link reads as a 1GB DIMM

For a laptop to run, you need to find a SO-DIMM. That will solve the length issue.
  4. DanielGilbert thread starter macrumors member

Jun 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I've corrected the URL.

Are the two types I've got completely incompatible though? Or is just a matter of the RAM not performing at its best?