RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbie001, Mar 5, 2007.

1. macnewbie001 macrumors member

can i use the same ram as i use with my Win XP box as long as it is pc100 0r 133
    what is a good online retailer to get ram from

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What Mac are you trying to stick it into? Please give the model and processor speed. (ie. iMac 600MHz G3).

I get my RAM from 1 or 2 places:

http://www.4allmemory.com

OR

http://www.memorytogo.com

Both have 100% Mac compatiable RAM and its all gaurenteed for life. Every once in a while 1 or the other will have free 2nd day shipping as well. You can also always go to www.crucial.com which also has 100% Mac compatible RAM and they are also gaurenteed for life.

If you're going to install Mac OS X, you'll want a bare minimum of 256MB. I would try to get at least 384MB or even 512MB in it if money provides itself. Mac OS X, just like Windows XP, loves lots of RAM.

3. macnewbie001 thread starter macrumors member

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Please be specific: Is it a tower machine? What colour is it: Graphite and 'white', silver, or does it have mirrored doors over the CD drive?

What speed is the processor?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, the PC100 or PC133 RAM *may* work, or it may not.

It has to be low density if it is 512 mb modules (16 chip) or 256 Mb (8 chip), if it is PC133 it has to be dual-programmed to run at PC100, and the SPD settings have to be written correctly. How can you tell? You can't without trial and error.

Good USA RAM vendors for older Mac RAM are most frequently recommended here on MR; OWC (MacSales) and Data Memory Systems

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

The RAM sites I posted will also work just fine. I've never had any issues with either one and the RAM has always worked correctly the first time.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, read the seller's decription

" 512MB PC133 CL3 3-2-2/PC100 CL2 2-2-2 168 Pin SDRam for PowerMac G4 Models 350-1GHz*, G4 Cube, iMac 350MHz to 700MHz, eMac 700MHz to 1GHz. Lifetime Warranty! *Original G4 PCI 'Yikes' models NOT included (OWC133SD512328)"

Your machine has an AGP video card, therefore it is not a "Yikes" motherboard, which used a PCI video card.

So your machine falls within the described machines.