RAM question!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fBaran, Mar 7, 2004.

1. fBaran macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    I'm looking to get a stick of 512mb, but I want to know by experience if I should actually shell out much more money for Apple branded RAM, or if I should stick to Crucial or generic RAM.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Apple RAM = Rip-off! Do not buy it!
    Crucial memory is just fine, and I think everyone here will tell you the exact same thing...since this questions has been asked a million times in the past.
  3. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    I've always bought RAM from Crucial and never had a problem. I bought a stick of 512MB from them ($110.99) for my PB and opted to pay an extra $90 on my system to have the base 512MB all on one stick. As a bonus, it is ridiculously easy to install on these machines.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I agree that buying ram from apple is a rip off. even now with their discount on memory upgrades its still more expensive. simply buy apple spec ram from someone else and you will pay less. I don't recomend generic ram as its usually less compatible and slower. remember, all your ram stick can only run as fast as the slowest one.
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    crucial and other companies offer lifetime guarantees - can't be that. And it's half the price!!
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you can try ramseeker if u wanna get cheaper ram, but they dont have the same following as crucial
  7. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I use TransIntl.com and have only had good experiences with my Powerbook. It's also the cheapest lifetime warranty RAM you can buy.
  8. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
  9. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    After a bit of searching:

"The ibook G4 models have one available memory expansion slot for main memory expansion and 128 MB of RAM soldered on the system logic board. Trans Intl.'s*1 Gigabyte (GB) memory upgrades double the memory density of available memory expansion to 1 GB. Without this upgrade, the system memory capacity was limited to a total of 640 MB of main memory as currently specified in Apple documentation."
    Seems that the gig stick would actually perform like a gig stick. Any $.02?