RAM Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, May 19, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Hi Everyone,

I want to upgrade the memory in my G5 1.6 GHz and have the choice of buying from either Crucial or MemoryX; while I have heard good things about Crucial, I have had great experiences with MemoryX, and their RAM is Apple factory approved (Samsung, I believe), while Crucial claims nothing like this.

Memory X is about $30 more expensive. Do you think it would be worth it to pay more for "factory approved" memory as opposed to that sold by Crucial? Or is the Crucial memory also "factory approved" / just as good?

Any advice ASAP would be greatly appreciated, as I need to make a decision right away. :)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Crucial is good stuff, half the people on these forums run it with no problems (inc. me!). I don't see any point to paying $30 more for "factory approved" memory. Just get Crucial, and put that $30 towards even more memory! :D

3. garybooberry macrumors member

I have 2 gigs of Crucial in my G4 - no problems whatsoever.

They may be a bit more expensive in some instances, but it's worth the piece of mind for me.

Good luck!

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If you use Crucial's "Memory Selector" on the website, its guarenteed to work 100%. I'd call that pretty much factory approved.

Go with Crucial, you can save an extra 5% by going to www.crucial.com/partners first.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I remember someone the other day saying their memory (extra) that came with their apple computer said crucial on it? Am I remembering this wrong? I have crucial and it works flawlessly.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Its extremely likely, Crucial makes memory for a whole bunch of companies. Actually, its Micron memory. Crucial is a division of Micron.

7. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.

Incidentally, what does "factory approved" mean, and why is it always more expensive? I noticed many companies have two options when ordering RAM: generic and factory approved... both are often guaranteed to be 100% compatible, so what would be the advantage of scooping out an extra $30 or so for the factory approved memory?

Would there be any potential difference in speed?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The maker of the RAM has paid an enoumous amount of money for the computer maker to say "yes, it work, kthx" :rolleyes: It's a waste of money but some think it has to be done.

9. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Took your advice and just ordered 1 GB of memory from Crucial. With the discount code and free shipping, it was actually a great deal. Thanks again :D

10. kkikuchi macrumors newbie

I'll add some advice: when you order from Crucial, use their memory selector system, just don't order the memory type that you need. When you use the memory selector thingie, the compatibility is guaranteed. Prior to my most recent experience, I had ordered lots of Crucial memory (for PCs), and it always worked. I tried to buy iBook memory (512 Mb for a iBook G4, 800 MHz) from them and after two tries, I and they gave up. BTW, Crucial denied any knowledge of problems with iBook compatibility although I'm not the only one who has reported problems with it, as I later found out. Although I got a full refund, including return shipping the second time, I was exasperated (those 4 tiny screws and the crummy AirPort wire bail!). I'm not suggesting that you don't try them (I'll probably use them again, albeit somewhat skeptically), but you should cover yourself when you do. BTW, I ended up with Geil "Golden Dragon" memory purchased from newegg.com, which works perfectly, so far.

11. mac-in-fool macrumors newbie

OWC Ram

On Apple's Support page, there is an article on G5 ram specifications and requirements. There it says make sure that the memory vendor conforms to the JEDEC standards (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council). Then there is a link to Apple approved vendors/manufacturers. The list includes OWC and Ram Direct, both of which sell 1gb of ram for just over $200. The crucial ram for a G5 is around $700, which is more than even the Apple Store.

12. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Can you please paste the link to this page? I can't seem to find it.

13. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Although I haven't found the link, I am sure that the confusion is that The OWC and Ram Direct prices are for 2 x 512 MB modules (G5 memory has to be installed in pairs), while the Crucial memory price you quoted is for a single 1 GB stick. Thus all of the prices are in fact more or less the same.