RAM Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ryan McCanical, Apr 22, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

First off, I went ahead and bought the new 12" powerbook with superdrive and 24 hours later, I think it might be the best purchase I have ever made. I love everything about it.

Anyway, I run protools and simply want to know if I should shell out the extra $200+ in order to add a gig of ram to this thing or just settle for 512mb + 256 built in?

Also, where is the cheapest place to get ram. Crucial.com looks pretty solid, but there has to be cheaper places for a gig stick of ram. THanks!

2. macrumors 6502a

Crucial is the _BEST_ place to get memory from. If you want to save an extra 5% off your order goto www.crucial.com/partners. On my rev. B 12'' PB I'm running 768megs of RAM and I don't have any problems. Then again, I'm not running the protools. I think 768 is plenty.

3. macrumors 6502

I don't have any personal experience with either of these companies; I am just reporting price information. I checked myself yesterday because I am about to order a 17" PB and wanted to know about the memory prices before I did so. For a 1GB stick, Crucial $436, Memorysolutions.com $345.

4. macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Personally, I buy only from Kingston, even though they hardly have the lowest prices.

I've always dealt with them in the past and they have the best return policy and the fastest turnaround when a product is defective -- even if I didn't originally buy a product from them.

5. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's