RAM Recommendations/Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, so I have an older dual 1.25 GHz G4 with only 512 RAM. It has 4 slots with only one used....I'd like to get some more RAM since I'll be using this machine for a bit and was wondering what type to get and how much extra...should I get two 512s or 3? (I seem to remember that the G4s could only use 1.5 Gig max, but I may be mistaken, especially with Tiger when I install it on this machine next week).

Also, what type do I need? Looking at the system profile I get

Size: 512MB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2600U-25330

So I'm a bit confused as to what SDRAM I need to buy - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

According to Crucials memory selector, your machine takes "DDR PC3200" (edit: or 2700 it seems on closer inspection), and a maximum of 2GB.

Happy shopping :D

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excellent - I'll probably get it from Crucial....

But as for the using of the memory per application - I do remember that there was a 1 Gig limit to apps at one time - is this still the case?

D

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's 4 GB per process (per application, for all practical purposes) in 10.3. I think that might be going up to some obscene amount in 10.4 but I'm not positive about that.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

is there a compusa or circuit city near you? they have that same memory for 37.99 (compusa) and 39.99 (circuit city) after rebates. newegg also has exceptional memory prices.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if you get anything from that list, i'd recommend the rosewill memory. ive had a stick in my emac for a few months and it's worked great.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

No question you can access more than that even currently, and for 10.4 Tiger, according to this Apple page:
    It doesn't say exactly how much will be permitted. Probably not the entire 64-bits theroetically possible, but I'm sure at least 8 GB. I seem to remember reading the practical limit being 42 bits of addressable space for some reason, still an enormous amount. So I think you'll be ok with a few gigs. ;) Now a caveat is that the page is about OS X Server specifically, but that probably also applies to the vanilla OS X.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thanks for all your help! I ordered the memory this morning and it should get here by the end of the week. I imagine having 2 Gig in the machine as opposed to just 512 Meg should make a big difference with Photoshop RAW files from my Canon 20D and rendering more complex scenes with Lightwave :D

I'm going to have to order new memory for my wife's new iMac I'll be ordering as soon as they become available (tomorrow I hope).

D

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, got the RAM and its a happy computer. Photoshop is noticeably faster, especially the RAW files from my Canon 20D :D

Thanks for all the help.

D

Attached Files:

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Photoshop CS 2 tops out at 4GB for it's cache. I have not gone to that limit quite yet. Are you using PS CS 2?

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson