RAM Requirements

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by C-Mezak, Jul 18, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey guys. I'll make this quick:

I know that in general, the more ram the better, but when money is an issue you gotta determine what you really need.

I have a new 12" powerbook coming my way. I plan to use it for a lot of writing and communications, but also some photoshop work (photo editing of images usually around 80 mb in size) and music production (basic multi-track demoing).

Will I be able to get by on 512 mb of ram? This is the last time Ill be able to upgrade for quite a while, so Ill do it if it means avoiding a bad computing experience when I take off for university. But I have plenty of other things to throw money at right now. What do you guys thing?

Thanks
    Charlie

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

it is always the best idea to bet as much ram as you can afford..... but there is no point having it if your NEVER going to use it....

best way to check is downloads this tool http://www.hillmanminx.net/dinmm/ just run it in the background...

congrats on you purchase btw

3. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

As I just posted on another thread, RAM is probably the most performance you can buy on a per-dollar basis. I don't get why people spend the big bucks on computers with the fastest processors available but then hamstring them by cheaping out on the RAM (I'm especially thinking of dual G5 owner who use 512 RAM - get an old MDD with 2 gigs for less money and it will run better).

But I'm ranting. :) To answer your question, yes, you will get by Ok. 512 is not a tiny amount; it's not like 256, where you're really going to lag. But given that you'll be using PS and garageband in more than casual ways, I would highly recommend getting to 768 if that's possible (1.2 gigs would be nice, but that's not worth the huge premium for a gig stick). I have a rev. B 12" with 768 RAM and when I use PS, I wish i had a lot more. Your faster processor will certainly help, but bottom line is that those can be demanding applications and 512 RAM, while sufficient, is not a lot by todays' standards.

I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but I really think you won't regret this purchase as it will make your whole computing experience better.

5. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak