Ram to buy for G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Hello again,

I am wanting to upgrade the ram in my 2.7G5 to at least 4GB's more of ram. I am going to get 1GB sticks and just leave the 512 in there. What company of ram should I go with. I want some decent ram with performence and such, but not the cheap value ram, but there are so many companies on the market today for ram. I was looking at some ram made by Viking, the ram looks decent, but is it?

Any reconmendations would be much appricated.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm, The Viking RAM in the link is totally, absolutely wrong for the G5... You don't want ECC, or Registered, or stacked, or 2 Gb modules.

My recommendation is to go with a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no charge return policy of it doesn't work.

There is no performance difference between RAM. Either it works, and the Mac will run it at 400 MHz Dual channel, or it doesn't work. More expensive RAM will not make the machine faster, the motherboard controls the RAM speed.

If you are in the USA, check Data Memory Systems

If you are in Canada, I hope you know who to check.

Good to know the reconmendations are appricated :confused: ;)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I ment to direct it to this part of the site Viking Ram

I also do see you reasoning, any specific company of ram you would recremend?

~Thanks~

4. omiemac macrumors newbie

Best Ram Crucial.com I have been buying from them for years! It's to me the best company for ram.

5. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

I ordered 2GB for my dual-2 from Other World Computing (www.macsales.com), it ended up being $30 cheaper than Crucial even after the Crucial coupon.

I haven't seen any information/tests to justify the extra $30 (though if they exist, I'd love to see them, so I can return these or buy Crucial for my next 2GB).

6. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I ordered my extra two gig from Data Memory Systems... link in the previous post in this thread. I have 3 gig total and it works great... no problems.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're not looking for the chip foundry's name or the module manufacturer's name -- It's useless to say that Samsung chips or Micron (or any other) chips are best, because they make 1000 different models of RAM and only 2 or 3 are compatible with your specific machine. You are looking for a seller who will ensure that you get the RIGHT module, whatever the chip manufacturer is. You want a company that knows Macs, and tests their RAM so they know exactly what is best for your machine.