RAM update provides definite boost

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AuburnTiger, Feb 28, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Nov 27, 2005
    Just received my new Macbook yesterday, and today I doubled the RAM from 1gig to 2gigs. Definitely a noticeable difference, especially in things like iChat video. That's all; just wanted to share.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 27, 2007
    Not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from
    An increase in RAM is usually the best bang for your buck performance-wise, especially with the way RAM prices have been in the dumps these days....

3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2007
    Excellent, I'm also going to be upgrading to 2gb soon. :D
  4. macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2008
    Just updated last week, and got an amazing deal from my friend who was upgrading to 4gigs on his MBP. Gave me his old 2x1 gig sticks for free! Anyway, I too noticed ichat, garageband and Microsoft office were noticeably snappier.
  5. macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2007
    I agree, just did the same thing. MS Office 2004 is WAAAAY better now...
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 27, 2005

I still haven't tested out a lot of the apps, considering I've only had it for 2 days. I don't have Office anyway, but did get iWork '08 preinstalled. I used Pages on my old iBook and liked it!
  7. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2008

The Blackbook I am going to buy comes with 2 GB of RAM and I want to up grade to 4 GB of RAM. My question is!!
    Do I need to buy 2 x 2GB of RAM and repleace the RAM it comes with?
  8. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 27, 2005

What do you plan on doing with your Blackbook? It cost me $43 for my 2GB upgrade, while the cost for 4GB was $105 or so. Why not shell out the extra money and go for 4GB? I just don't think the things I do on my Macbook justify the extra memory. Besides, that $60 buys me things like food. :)
  9. macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Question - is the jump from 2gig to 4 as dramatic as the one from 1gig to 2?

I've got two macbooks in the family, one of which I upgraded from 1gig to 2 and the difference was considerable.

Is the increase to 4gig just as dramatic? Is it worth the money? I do like to video edit & play strategy games like Sim City and the like.
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2008

I have not tried the games, only have had my macbook since tuesday, but I did install VMware and Ubuntu, and I was using most of the RAM at that point (I have 2Gigs), so I guess if your using virtualization then the max RAM would probably help, especially during installation. I haven't used VMware that much, so I don't know how much it takes during normal use.

11. macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2007
    Yep. Two banks, each can take a maximum of 2GB. Therefore for 4GB RAM you need to remove your 2x1GB and replace them with 2x2GB. Put you 1GB sticks on Ebay, you'll get a few quid for them and it'll reduce the price of your upgrade!

Enjoy the performance upgrade!
  12. PMR
    macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2007
    Portugal (Google it)
    If you're into editing in HD; pics with PS, Lightroom and InDesign open at once or editing many huge files the jump for 4GB worths all the money. And if you are a Parallels user this also applies.
    For basic video/photo editing and games 2GB are enough, unless you run 20 apps at the same time :)