RAM Upgrade - Best Configuration?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sblasl, Nov 13, 2006.

1. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Just got a mac pro 2.66GHz. It came with 2GB in a 4x512 configuration. I want to add an additional 4GB of RAM. Should I purchase 4x1GB or should I purchase 2x2GB?

I am being a little nearsighted in my purchasing as I believe this is what I will live with for awhile so I am wanting to make the configuration to get the best performance for the foreseeable future working with the current 2GB with the addition of the 4GB's.

Your thoughts?

2. tehsuck macrumors newbie

http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html

8x512mb will fully utilize your bus.

3. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

From that article:

It appears as if the dual vs quad channel argument is kind of overblown.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What? And 4 x 512 + 4 x 1 Gb won't? That was the OP's question, 4 x 1 Gb or 2 x 2 Gb in addition to the 4 x 512.

The 4 x 1 Gb may be marginally faster than the 2 x 2 Gb configuration - the main difference is if you want to go beyond the 6 Gb. With the 4x1 configuration, you would need to start pulling out RAM. the 2x2 configuration allows you to go to 10 Gb before removing modules.

5. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

When you say "marginally faster", is there any value? Like I said, a little nearsighted, & will live this with awhile. I am going to sit on the fence until the prices drop.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Marginally means very little -- the test scores in artificial benchmarks show up to 30 some %, but those benchmarks are notoriously unrelated to real world performance.

I would estimate on 8 out of 10 programs you run you wont see a difference realworld, and on 2 out of ten you may see 2% - 10% difference.

7. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

2x2GB is the correct answer than I will assume.

8. Help! macrumors regular

Does this mean that I could safely add 2x1gb to the stock 2x512 without any problems?