Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I've started moving away from imovie and am getting more into FCPX. Liking it so far!
I'm using the MacBook Pro with the specs in my sig, and it seems to run pretty well. I did notice it crash and quit the application once, not sure why, but it saved what I was doing anyway. I've cleared the Final Cut plist files and so far its been good.

Although running well for now, I can't help wonder whether it would be beneficial to increase my RAM from 8 to 16GB before I really get into some slighter larger projects? I have read FCPX uses as much RAM as you can throw at it?
Note, I don't tend to have any other application open when using FCPX so FCPX can use as much resource as is available.

I have no problem upgrading to 16GB as long as I know it would be used. Should I go for it, or should I wait and see how I get along with 8GB?
Hopefully I can get some advice from others who also use FCPX.......

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
Start up Activity Monitor while you are using your MBP normally. Look under system memory. If Used memory is above 6 - 7 GB then you need more memory for sure.

I went from 8 GB to 16 a while ago. I didn't think that I really needed it. I discovered that once I did, started using another 2 - 4 GB even though my behavior was the same. If you are going to keep the system for another couple of years, you might as well get the memory now. You will needed sooner or later, even if you don't now. Memory is only $100. That my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.