Ram upgrade for iMac (why crucial)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dunebug38, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Dunebug38 macrumors newbie

Why should I choose crucial over other websites that offer compatible ram for up to $30 less per 1 GB of ram. For example http://memorysolutions.stores.yahoo.net/1gbdd66somem.html ...Now this is not a great looking webpage so that might turn me off, but it does offer a lifetime warranty.

For a complete list of what I am getting at click here: www.ramseeker.com and click the upper right tab for the intel iMac.

Any suggestions for me with my decision? I am going to get 2 GB's and I want a lifetime warranty and I would prefer cheapest w/o compromising quality too much.

Thanks

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying crucial RAM, based on their pricing practices. If you do buy crucial, get it from a store like newegg.com . Personally I would say to check out OWC or datamem . OWC comes with a lifetime warranty as well.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Crucial isn't that great for price, sites such as www.macsales.com (OWC) are also pretty good, but after I have recently got burned with RAM on eBay* I would purchase it from a reputable (ie major) store, Crucial certainly isn't the only choice.

* For future reference the seller in question *does* offer a 'lifetime' warrenty, but is still a joke.

4. Dunebug38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I should put it this way....Is there any reason I shouldn't buy from the cheaper options that offer the lifetime warranty?

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd say to avoid the ultra-cheap brands, even if they do have a warranty, because it might be difficult to actually contact a suspect company, and who knows about their customer service...

There are plenty of threads around on this, but I would say get OWC-branded RAM from macsales.com, and be happy.

6. Dunebug38 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

or check www.ramseeker.com. generally, i think OWC is a fine, and usually the cheapest. i have bought from 18004memory.com a few times and have never had a problem, even in my 600mhz ibook with a 512mb chip in that. actually, now that i think about it, i did have a problem with the RAM when I first ordered it 4 years ago; it wouldn't fit in, so i sent it back and got a new stick. no problems. just get something with a warranty.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can second 18004Memory.com. I bought RAM for my G5 from there.

http://www.datamem.com/ is another favorite on MacRumors.

10. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

I got some good ram for my imac at newegg with a lifetime warranty.. 70$ for a gig...

11. jtown macrumors 6502

You shouldn't. If it meets the specs, it meets the specs.