Ram upgrading

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanops, Jan 16, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hi im looking to buy my first mac with 1gb of ram (iMac)... this is probably more then enough as im not going to be doing memory reliant tasks (i'm just using it for internet, office and iLife)... in the future tho, will i be able to go down the road to any computer store and buy ram like i do for my computer (the same type of module) or do i need mac only ram??

thanks in advance
    dean

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There isn't "Mac only" RAM, the Macs use a standard type of module (in the Intel Macs other than the Mac Pro, its a DDR2-667 SODIMM)

However, there are some memory modules made that don't conform accurately enough to the specifications, and fail more often. Your best bet is to purchase from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, and offers a no-cost (no restocking, no shipping charge) return if it doesn't work.

As a new Mac owner, it's probably worth the extra $10 for the piece of mind that your RAM will work no problems. Vendors in the USA that MR Members often recommend are Crucial, OWC (MacSales) and Data Memory Systems.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Impossible to say, 'coz I don;t know which model(s) you are looking at.
    PNY is a reasonably well-known entry level generic brand.

They have a Configurator to help you choose the correct model.

The key is whether the RAM that you choose is guaranteed to be compatible with your Mac, and whether the seller will honour that, or charge you restocking fees and shipping if it doesn't work.

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I was in the same position when I first bought my Mac two years ago,

Just got myself some Crucial RAM for my iBook, arriving somewhere this week. :D