Ram Usage...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DevilDog, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

When I'm looking in activity monitor at my ram usage, what is the difference between 'wired' , 'active' , and 'inactive'. Why doesn't it just say 'free' and 'used' instead of all those other ones? Please Explain.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

already been discussed ad nauseum yada yada yada............. da search ist yo frayend :D

dont worry about those other things, it's all unix stuff anyways, just look at the page outs.....if you have >>1000, you need to install more ram, or your machine will soon begin to bog down due to data being swapped to Virtual Memory on the HDD....

3. emaja macrumors 68000

Remember that pageouts are cumulative since the last reboot, so if you forget to take that into consideration you will have a false impression of your memory needs.

Basically, "wired" memory contains info that cannot be saved to disk and nust be held in RAM. "Active" memory is just that, memory that is in use by currently active programs and "inactive" memory is memory that was used by a recent app that is being help for it, in case that app is launched again. If the system needs that RAM, it will be overwritten.

There is a "used" and "free" description also and those are all you really need to worry about.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

woah, page-outs shouldn't be momre than 1000?!?! mine looks like this:

am i in trouble? 21780 page outs...

Attached Files:

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Reboot, play around on the net, do what you normally would for about a half hour, then check that number.