Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
Alphatech and I have both recommended mohawkmem.com for mac ram need before but they closed their store unti the 14th of this month and I need ram now. i found a good price at 18004memory, can anyone recommend these guys? any good vendors y'all know about? any vendors to stay away from?

thanks,
buffsldr

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
Yeah, Help Us Out :)

I asked a similar question last night and no one replied yet. 18004memory is the lowest prices I found too, but I'm a little reluctant to buy... It just seems too cheap to be of reliable quality.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
For mac mem I've had good luck with Macsales.com (OWC) they seem to have really good prices, but I've used 8004memory (coast to coast memory) before and they are good too, but I think I'd go with OWC next time (macsales.com)

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
The guy over at Railhead Design posted about just buying some RAM for his new eMac from http://www.transintl.com. I've never bought third-party RAM but I would tend to trust the Railhead dude... and the prices are incredible. How exactly does Apple get off charging 400% of what others charge for RAM?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i've used 18004memory a few times... and no problems that i know of

i've also gotten hard drives from transintl.com and have had them fail. i got one and my brother got one. they failed in exactly the same way. the case's power supply messed up so they had to get him a new case... since then, the new one has also died.... my warranty (one year) was up so i just put the drive into my comp and used that internal power supply, worked fine....

so, i'm hesitant about transintl.... could've just been bad luck though.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If the memory prices look too low to be real, they probably are. There is a thing called a 'gray market' where companies that purchase too much inventory dump overstock. The prices are much lower then just about anyone else for the same items. You really need to be careful when you purchase an item like that, since there is a very good chance the warranty period will be cut short. That, or you will have to deal with the company you purchased the item from, not the manufacturer (like IBM, WD...).

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
RAM Vendors

Try www.ramjet.com/ they note whether the chip is compatible with the top or bottom slot. I assume what you are going to do is remove a 256M chip and replace it thus freeing 256M up for FFIL [I am a FIL so treat him well ].

256mb $79
512mb $199
1Gig $389

There is also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.