RAM with Heatsinks Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shadowmoses, Sep 16, 2005.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I have had a search but cannot find anything on this topic so here it goes;

I have a nice piece of 1gb RAM for my Mini problem is that it has a heatsink on it, I can't see anyway to remove the heatsink without damaging the Mini, so I was wondering if the Mini will be able to fit RAM with a heatsink on?? So if anyone has done this or tried I would be grateful to hear from you,

Thanks in advance,
    ShadOW

2. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Sorry to bump, but couldnt anyone help me?? someone must have tried RAM with heatsinks on there mac mini...The problem is so much RAM these days ships with the heatsinks fitted,

SHadOW

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I had a quick google search. It seems there are a lot of results for pm g5, but not anything for mac mini. Maybe give apple support a call..

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

how bout just trying to put it in dont force anything just see if it fits duhhhh jk jk.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Three answers:
    1) Don't do it, there isn't room physically

2) Any RAM you are considering buying with heatsinks is, by definition, not RAM sold with a guarantee of Mac compatibility. No Mac RAM is sold with heatspreaders. Buy from a reputable dealer who guarantees compatibility with the Mini. Don't put in random PC memory.

3) If you already have a piece of RAM that you are bound and determined to try then just take off the heat spreader - it's like, a $2 piece of aluminum held on by two spring clips... :rolleyes:

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4) Macs are designed without the heatspreaders in mind, putting memory in with the heatspreader on in machines where it actually fits -- blocks the airflow around the RAM. Negating the purpose of heatspreaders.

The PM G5 threads basically looked cool but also like a solid brick of aluminum.

After people start complaining how stupid it was to use such crap in a PowerMac G5, the dealers quickly pulled it.

7. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thanks for the replies, I will try and remove the stupid heat spreaders, but it seems pretty tightly fastened, otherwise i will try and source a 1gb stick wothout a heat spreader,

Thanks again,

ShadOW