Ram

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Mar 21, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a 1 gig stick of ram for my powerbook (1.5, 15"). I have the stock 2x256 sticks in still. I want to remove 1 stick of 256 and put a 1 gig stick in instead. I looked at crucial and it seemed a little weird to me that they charge 92$ for a stick of 512 but they charge almost 400$ for 1 gig. Does that make sense? Can anyone recommend something?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Personally, I don't know why someone would risk buying RAM on Ebay, but anyway:

The words on the auction describe what you want for the Powerbook, yes. But you are not buying it from the memory company, you are buying from an individual called Toycove. Understand the difference?

You have to decide whether you trust this individual to deliver the correct thing, and to stand behind a the compatibility warranty (and to not charge you for shipping costs and restocking fees if it doesn't work and you want your money back.)

Instead of $179 on eBay, I think you'd be better with $198 at Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1169
    They have been around for 17 years. The eBay "manufacturer" less than 2.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would feel more comfortable getting memory from Apple or Crucial. Lifetime warranty is available from both.

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

IMO, I think Crucial makes the best RAM but you really pay a premium for it. If I had the money, I would've bought my RAM from them. But, I just spent about $2400 on my PowerBook and a new Base Station so I don't have that kind of money to buy RAM from Crucial.

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

So is your powerbook much more responsive with this ram?

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Just a word of warning... I've had problems mixing RAM from different vendors in my PM. I'm not sure if it'd apply to the PB, but I'd give it a thought. When I spoke to Applecare, they mentioned it to be a frequent problem.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Heck, just search on this forum and you will see hundreds of the "IJustUpgradedMyRAMandNowMyComputerIsWiggingOut,WhatCouldBeWrong?" threads. ;)

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

eh personally I have no problem paying a little more at crucial simply because it's still cheaper than apple. I mean your saving money AND getting good RAM so although it's not the cheapest out there you do gotta remember your saving money still.
    When I got my G5 I added a gig of ram from crucial bringing my total up to 1.25gb, for cheaper than it would have cost me to get 1gb from apple.

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

No... not exactly. The RAM itself is perfect. It tests fine when not installed with the original Apple RAM. The problem lies in being able to mix the original Apple RAM and the Crucial RAM. Very frustrating. I've only seen one other thread where someone had this problem.