1. Chea macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just picked up a lightly used 1.07ghz iBook with 256mb ram. It's dog slow so I need some more ram ASAP. I'm on a bigtime budget so I'm thinking of just getting a stick of 512mb ram off of ebay or something.

With that said, I have no fricken clue what kind of ram to get. That's where you guys come into play. What kind do I need? What do you recommend? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

if you want to play it safe...
    www.crucial.com

just follow the steps and it will show you which memory you need.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I also highly recommend Crucial. They also have the link above. Purchase the amount of RAM that you can afford, you will notice a marked improvement in performance.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

256MB is not enough to run the system (base OSX) smoothly. I find 512MB to be the minimum and anything up from that will help. Aim for 1GB total to be perfectly happy. :)

5. Chea thread starter macrumors newbie

To adress the first reply: I did check that website but they suggested a 1gig stick of ram which would cost me about $200cdn...not gonna happen.

To the dude above me: 256 barely does the job. 1 gig i dont know if i can afford...we shall see.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

then get a 512 stick from crucial, or another company, i would not trust ebay for RAM

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can of course use crucial to tell you what RAM you need, and then do a search on ebay for those specifications.

8. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

yeh, i was kind of pointing that, i think you'd do well to get the right ram for much less than crucial, but if you do... feel free to tell us...! (and more importantly, where from!)

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Here is the 512MB stick of RAM from Crucial at $121.79.

(Is there a 1.07GHz iBook, or am I just being slow?)