Ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbookpaul, Jan 13, 2007.

1. macbookpaul macrumors newbie

if i was to upgrade the RAM in my macbook (intel duo) should i only use RAM from the apple website or are there any good sites for mac compatible RAM

2. jne381 macrumors regular

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

This question pops up fairly often. Have a search of the forums and you'll probably find a few different sites recommended.

Mind you, most people say you can't go wrong with Crucial as suggested by jne381.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't buy from Apple! Their RAM prices tend to be too expensive. I would highly recommend that you buy your RAM from www.datamem.com . :)

5. dorcetto macrumors newbie

dorcetto

dmw007 is right. go to datamem.com.
    your processor speed and the workload on your mac determines what kind/how much to get.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I just got this 1GB stick from Newegg.com in the mail today and it works wonderfully, and it was a pretty good deal too. :)

8. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Another vote for datamem. If you're only going for 1 gb total, I may have 2 x 512 matched apple ram available, pulled from a new mb c2d. PM if any interest.

9. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Hey there,

I know it's suggested that when you upgrade the ram you make both slots match, but how important is that?

I have the stock 512 right now (2x256) and was going to buy a 1gb card to slip in one of the slots. Will this cause a problem or should I buy 2x512 chips?

10. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

No, that won't be a problem. I have a 1GB stick and the stock 256MB stick in my MacBook and it's supposedly a tiny bit slower than having matched pairs, but I can't notice that, I only notice the speed boost from having an extra gig of RAM.

11. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot