ram...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Apr 1, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

quick question...

where is the best place to get ram for a tibook rev b...right now....since the prices fluctuate?

2. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Re: ram...

the 100Mhz bus or 133Mhz bus? Cause the 550 has a 100 bus, and the 667 has a 133 bus

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

um... fluctuate. youve been listening to steve's lies i think. the prices of ram have been steadiliy declining since january.

check http://www.memoryx.net/

http://www.18004memory.com/

http://www.transintl.com/

memoryx will probably hav ethe best price. 512mb chip is usally about 100-130 bucks depending on where you look. the price change occured between january and december. before the new year the same chip would be 80-90 bucks but since january prices have been falling again. dont believe this crap about fluctuating prices people try to sell you. ive been watching the prices closely and buying or not buying regularly for awhile and the trend is clear.

anti competitive practices in the ram industry last year drove prices down. the companies artificially lowering prices either got in trouble with their governments, were driven out of buisiness or were convinced to rationalize prices due to govenment pressure. things are quite stable now that the market has been rationalized and prices have declines slightlyy since the price hike in january.

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay lemon...thanks for them links.

i guess i bought the lie than...seems everyone was saying it so i never questioned it...so my bad. thanks again.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ah i was just checking. seems the Tipowerbook can only take low profile ram, thats some costly stuff. look for prices to be 150-200 for a 512mb chip. some places have special bundles though where two 512mb chips are cheaper than two individually so you migt look for one of those deals.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

RAM prices have stabilized now, but after the huge drops we saw last fall, it began to climb up again.

Besides, Apple charges too much for their RAM anyway, so the Reality Distortion Field spreads into everything...;)

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Eh? Not where I live.

The best place to buy RAM was three months ago :)

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well im just going by prices of online vendors. i woudlnt know what the prices storefront vendors ask, they are typically as inflated as apple's prices for ram.

ram prices online for from american vendors are very clearly declining since january. but then there was ahuge jump in prices in january so prices are still more than they were say last year.

11. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

mohawkmemory.com has done right by me, but if you want to see the latest prices all at once check out www.ramseeker.com

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Mohawk has also been good to me. They also have pretty intelligent staff there, and you actually get a real person (provided you call during their business hours) on the phone.

I had one chip from them fail on me after over a year of heavy use (in my G4 tower, PC100, a 512MB chip). They sent me a replacement and return box for the old one. I just packed the old one in the box and dropped it in the mail (return postage was paid by them).

When I would factor in the cost to get the same memory from anyone else, and in the same time frame, they cost just as much if not more. Since I am close enough to Mohawk, ground shipping arrives the next day.

Two places that I would not get memory from are both Apple and MacWarehouse. Both places charge way too much for the same memory that I can get from Mohawk at about 1/2 the cost (depending on market conditions).

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've always used http://www.buymemory.com, they've consistantly been one of the cheapest and I've never had a problem with what they've delivered.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

up to this point I've had great experiences with OtherWorldComputing (www.otherworldcomputing.com).

I really need to buy more RAM for my TiBook since X just thrives on it...but I spent the money I could have gotten a 512 chip with on a new camera...he he he...:p