Ramen Revisited

Discussion in 'Community' started by Danger! Will, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Which ramen noodle brand do you preffer?
    Where do you buy it from?
    Cups or Blocks?
    What flavors?
    How do you cook it?
    Any recipes?

Remember there is no wrong way to eat or cook Ramen.

I preffer Nissin/Top Ramen in the block Beef flavor
    Either Nissin or Maruchan in the cups Beef flavor or Cajun Style

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

another ramen thread!

top ramen or maruchan is the eternal question...i can really go either way though...chicken mushroom and oriental are the best flavors!

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Nong Shim is my favourite, especially Neoguri, because I like it spicy.

If I buy Japanese ramen, it's Sapporo Ichiban or Myojo because the other brands taste like wet cardboard.

I only get it in blocks, but even the bowls have blocks inside.

It's always nice to drop some anchovies or kim chee into it while cookie.

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Maruchan

I buy it from the store

I prefer blocks but I love both

Chicken and Shrimp, but ill eat any flavor

I Cook it like a it says on teh instruction, i like puttin chile hot sauce on it..yummy

I dont eat it a lot like once a week or less often

BTW watch out for scemO;)

5. Danger! Will thread starter macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I think scem0 has his Ramen shipped directly from the manufacturer on a weekly basis.

What's this place called "the store"

However, this is just speculation.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

duh maruchan is definitely the best

top ramen sucks!

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Finally! Someone has taste. :D

8. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Living in Japan I am blessed to be able to go to a real ramen restaurant anytime I want and not have to worry about the instant stuff. If I do go instant, I will have either Nissin or Sapporo.

Can you get "yaki-soba" where you live?

Now the trivia question.....if you lay noodles end to end from an average cup noodle pack, how long are the noodles, and what is the longest? *this was on a TV show here and I was listening to it in the background.

Answer after you guys have a few guesses.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When I move out of my house this might be a plausible idea, but right now I have to fight to get the ramen I need (my mom is a health freak ;)).

Why would anyone ever dream that someone like me would post in a Ramen thread?!!?? :eek: :eek: ;) :p

I had a big craving for Ramen as soon as I got out of school. I was just gunna eat 1 package (that is rare for me - I usually eat 2), but I had to go with my sisters to picky my Dad up from the airport. And then we ate out to eat. So I never got any ramen at all.

Grilled cheese is still good though (it doesn't compare to Ramen though ;)...

And I also had a dream about Ramen last night. I dreamt that my sister and I were just walking around our house aimlessly and she was just carrying a package of Ramen. It was really pissing me off because we only have 8 packages right now, but I didn't want to get into a fight about it so I just didn't say anything.

scem0

10. jywv8 macrumors 6502

ramen thoughts

I like Sapporo Ichiban in blocks, oriental or chicken flavor. I buy it at Jewel. I cook it like it says on the package, except, when adding the noodles to the boiling water, I also like to add 1 egg, diced zucchini, and some fresh, chopped garlic. And, when adding the seasoning packet, I add liberal helpings of fresh red pepper.

Now I'm hungy...

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Ummm, 10,000 ri...oh wait! That's the answer to something else! :D

I used to get fresh yaki soba at Yaohan Plaza near NYC but the best I can do is to get fresh woo dong (udon) at local Korean restaurants.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for the instant stuff, anything from korea is great

i also like UFO ramen from japan

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Are those rice noodles that are all white and become translucent considered ramen? I like to add those to a good stirefry sometimes :)

14. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Speaking of noodles, whos been to Republic in Union Square NYC (www.thinknoodles.com) ? The place is cheap, trendy and best of all has the most amazing noodles I've had...especially for the price. Its all well presented too, look at the pics on the web site, they make you so hubngry...i could just go now if i didnt live so far away from it. I had the prawns wrapped in shredded coconut the first time i went as a starter yumm and beef with glass noodles as the main meal. Not being familiar with the money and not having much change, i accidently gave a big tip so the next time i went, the service was amazing. Speaking of service, the waitresses there are some of the hottest girls ive seen, really like models, especially the thai looking girl that served me. I'd give it a try anytime your in manhatten.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised you remember anything about the food. :D If it was upscale, I know I wouldn't be eating in a place like that in Manhattan. Even "cheap" places are expensive there.

tazo: [EDIT]grrrr[/EDIT]

No, those are not considered ramen. I'll look for the name but I would call them komen (beimen?)

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

lol it was I, tazo, that asked if they were considered ramen...i think you are referring to me yuki...err are you? :D

17. dstorey macrumors 6502a

no, i was suprised, it was quite cheap...one of the reasons i went back a few times, could hardly afford anywhere else ;) it was around $6-8 a course if i remember, some were less. Only thing was some were difficult to hold and eat with chopsticks, and being full of beautiful people, I didn' want to make a fool of myself...it was like...hmmmmm how do i eat this????

18. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Walmart

Smack (I think, or is it Snack..it doesn't matter), from Walmart.

Because it is cheap..yes, it is cheaper than Maruchan. The cheapest that I've ever seen was 12 for $1.

They should really give this thing away for free, out of courtesy for walking into Walmart store. I don't think it's really food. i think it is made of byproduct from factories in China that turns out plastic toys that happens to be sold just a few rows down in the toy department next to the gun department.

Chomo

19. Danger! Will thread starter macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Plastic bi-products...YUMMY! Keep buying those toys so that we may always have RAMEN.

20. Chomolungma macrumors regular

bad times

This thread reminds me of really bad times in college. Cold pizza was actually considered a luxury. Where did all our money go to? Oh beer, I forgot :D

Lets not bring this topic up again:(

Well, Ramen noodle is still the best backpacking food hands down...maybe second to only freeze dry cheescake mix.:rolleyes:

Chomo

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah yeah, I was referring to you with the avatar of someone else's face.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you're going to use the spinning head -- you might as well use this...

Attached Files:

23. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

You guys sound like a bunch of ramen noobs! The stuff you've listed I wouldn't give to my dog.

Go to a Korean supermarket. Go to the ramen section. Find one that is in a long upright bowl colored similarly to the orange you find on a box of Tide. About $1 each. Try it and thank me later. That's the stuff we Asians keep to ourselves. :D

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Excuse me? :mad:

You actually like Sam Yang ramyun? :p It's okay, but not my favourite brand. Binggrae brand seems pretty good too but the noodles are a little more like cardboard to me.

25. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

UFO is actually abrand of yakisoba, well here in Japan anyway, not sure if they have other versions for overseas markets, but I don't think so.