Rampaging Driver in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WildCowboy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Breaking news...the driver of an SUV went on a rampage a few hours ago on the streets of San Francisco, injuring at least thirteen people (seven critically)in at least seven separate incidents before he was taken into custody. He's also suspected of hitting and killing a pedestrian in Fremont earlier in the day.

Obviously there's a lot of information still coming out, but this is just messed up.

Link

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

guarantee he blames it on playing GTA.:rolleyes:

3. n8236 macrumors 65816

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I was thinking the exact same thing.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Are we allowed to send condoms to his new cellmates?

6. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

7. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

More like, you *Americans* are messed up.

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Pardon? :confused:

There are far worse drivers in other countries than the States. Jamaica as an example.

9. n8236 macrumors 65816

The guy apparently just came back from a trip in Afghan.

And as for ppl who have no driven in Cali for a long time, sure there are people who are just plain bad drivers but the number of safe and careful drivers are very abundant as well. You have to understand Cali is a very populated State with a very complex freeway and street system. It's not exactly the Kansas.

I've driven in SF for 9 years and you have to be a very defensive driver and aware of your surroundings in order to avoid the many careless and non-observant drivers.

Plus it's not even about the driving of the guy, it's the fact that he went psyco and busted a GTA.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I will long remember this case of the senior driver in Santa Monica (a block from the Apple store) who mowed down pedestrians by accident, but seemingly could have stopped.

In this San Francisco case it was deliberate, and that's horrible.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Although I find the drivers from New Jersey the worst in the U.S. I have found much much worse in Europe. In France alone I saw 5 accidents within a two week period. Of those,I believe two were deadly and I personally witnessed one of them.:eek:

I live in very congested Manhattan and cant remember the last time I saw an accident, maybe one a year? two on a bad year....

You can say alot of bad s**t about the states but this award definately does not go to the U.S.:rolleyes:

Besides, I doubt this SF incident was because of bad driving. Seems pretty deliberate to me.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

France is certainly very scary. We have a lot of idiots driving around in the UK too. The driving tests are far too easy...

13. Queso macrumors G4

I've always found France great to drive in as long as you don't go near the Periphique.

Italy and Spain on the other hand :eek:

Anyway back on topic. Veteran or not, he's a psychopath and needs to go away for a very long time.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'll agree NJ is really bad.

However Brooklyn is one of the worst if not the worst in the nation. At least that's what insurance companies say, but I believe it.

There aren't as many accidents in Manhattan because we all drive bumper to bumper all the time. Kinda hard to crash a car at 5 MPH :D

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Agreed.;)

I think the Brooklyn insurance thing is more about theft then bad driving....

16. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Thankfully I was in the East Bay at the time of all of this. I heard the news on the radio on my way back across the bridge and it chilled me to the bone.

The suspect's family cites mental illness; the cops say he was coherent and unrepentant. Either way, such a sociopath should be locked away for good.

17. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Now, here's a bad driver.

Woman crashes when teaching dog to drive
    Mon Aug 28, 8:13 AM ET
    BEIJING - A woman in Hohhot, the capital of north China's Inner Mongolia region, crashed her car while giving her dog a driving lesson, the official Xinhua News Agency said Monday.

No injuries were reported although both vehicles were slightly damaged, it said.

The woman, identified only be her surname, Li, said her dog "was fond of crouching on the steering wheel and often watched her drive," according to Xinhua.

"She thought she would let the dog 'have a try' while she operated the accelerator and brake," the report said. "They did not make it far before crashing into an oncoming car."

Xinhua did not say what kind of dog or vehicles were involved but Li paid for repairs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060828/ap_on_fe_st/bad_dog_driver

18. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

.... oh my god.... i cant belie...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

19. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I live in NJ as well and I will agree that it is bad (due to the volume of commuters/trucks & no the most logical road system) but the worst drivers I have ever in-countered are in Saint Louis (most major roads in the area are 3 to 4 lanes wide with clear and legible signs that I think people are refusing to acknowledge for reasons un-known)

End Rant - I don't hate on STL but my wife is from there and when we go back it makes me miss NJ traffic on 1&9 heading towards the tunnel & Hoboken/JC

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Whenever I see a driver do something stupid I will look down at their plates and 95% of the time they will be from New Jersey.:eek:

The difference between New York drivers and New Jersey drivers is this IMO-
    New York drivers will do stuff that will piss you off,
    New Jersey drivers will do stuff that will get you killed.