Ran my son's phone through the wash; what should I do now?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wordmunger, Mar 14, 2007.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

So, my 15-year-old son left his clothes in a pile on the couch in the TV room this morning. I picked them up and ran them through the laundry only to find that his phone was in his pocket.

In my book, this is his fault. Heck, he shouldn't have even left his clothes where he did. So I think he should be responsible for buying a new phone.

OTOH, I do feel a bit guilty because I should have checked his pockets before running the laundry.

It's also possible that the phone will still work after drying out. I doubt it, though, from the looks of it now.

Opinions?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Take the battery out straight away. Then dry everthing anyway you can. Hairdryer works well. Make sure its totally dry then try and turn it on. You will find phones are tougher than you think. My mum dropped hers in a bucket of water. She dried it off and it works fine.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Absolutely agree.

There is a chance it may still work, but I don't know- I've accidentally washed AND dried a mermory stick TWICE and it still worked fine. I've seen phones dropped in swimming pools and the like and still work great, but I've also seen phone mysteriously stop working because of water damage that was unknown of at the time.

Did you take it apart as best you could? That's really the best you can do.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't think that it is his fault. It's his fault that he is lazy, but laziness does not yield a phone going through the wash. At the very least, you should be willing to split the cost of a new phone.

5. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I disagree, though we don't quite know how things work in the family (i.e. clothes washing in this case), to son should have taken out his phone, when he removed his pants.

6. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Actually, in this case, that's exactly what it yielded. That said, splitting the cost might be a good compromise.

Jim knows his laundry gets done on Wednesdays -- he's actually supposed to have it all in the laundry bin so all I have to do is run the load, so in this case I was doing him a favor.

Per everyone's suggestion, I've taken it apart and I'll try to dry it. Ideally it will still work.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

My wife dropped her phone into the bathtub recently (don't ask me how, she refused to tell me because she didn't want me to laugh at her), and we did what everyone else has been recommending: take out the battery and the SIM card (if it's a GSM phone), flip it open (if it's a flip phone), and let it dry.

Hers still works just fine. She was just without it for a day or two while we made sure it was completely dried out.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Well that's different, then. I assumed he did his own laundry as I used to. In which case, if one of my parents decided to take it upon themselves and wash something but damaged me phone, i'd be pretty pissed. But that is clearly not the case here.

9. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I actually just thought of the perfect compromise: I pay for a new phone but he does his own laundry from here on out. What do you think of that?

10. Seed Artist macrumors newbie

Seed Artist

If it doesn't work,... your cellular provider has phones in case of theft or loss, which sell at a reduced price.

Splitting the cost of a new or refurbished phone seems the logical conclusion, as this mishapp could have been prevented on everybody's part.

So it's not a question of "who's fault is it," but what the two of you are going to do to prevent it from happening again.

Good luck!

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

12. Roric macrumors regular

I think that is a good deal. He may grumble now, but in a couple years, when he is off to college he will thank you for making him learn how to do his own laundry. Also, when he comes home on the weekends, it will be to visit, not because you need to do his laundry. :)

13. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

That'll work for a while... just stay on top of him... I have a feeling you'll e doing his laundry again...

14. iGav macrumors G3

I think that within 2 weeks, you'll be back to doing the washing whilst he enjoys talking on his new phone. ;)

15. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes this is the best way. This will be good when he goes to college and has to wash his own. I worked in a commercial laundromat when I was his age and learned to wash cloths there. So I think he can handle it.

Nuc

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think you need to own up to making the mistake of doing his laundry without checking his pockets. Checking pockets is a must when doing laundry, help the kid out. I do think that knowing how do his own laundry is a healthy idea though, and your compromise may work out for the best in the long run.

17. rose red macrumors member

I think you need to sort out the cost of a new phone between you. It seems to me that you are both at fault, so half each is reasonable. He's at fault for not leaving his laundry in the right place, and you are for washing laundry that wasn't in the right place. Hope you can get the phone to work, if not have a laugh and promise each other not to do it again and split the cost.

18. smythey macrumors regular

If you take it to bits right now as much as you can (take out battery, sim and and any removable media cards) and let them dry naturally, you might be okay.

My "friend" dropped my Sony Erricson into a pint of Bellhaven Best a couple of weeks ago, and it went a bit mad for a day or two, but works fine now. The Memory stick that was in it is shot though....
    It made a nice beer lolly on the way back to my house too! (joke - sort of....)

If it dries out and doesnt work, you could take it back to the shop and claim "it just stopped working". Worth a shot?....

19. hana macrumors regular

Sounds good to me.
    1. By paying for the phone, you own up to your mistake of not checking the pockets. By bringing this mistake up to him, you teach him to always check his pockets.
    2. Fifteen is a good time to start training him on doing his laundry...even if it doesn't work the first time around.
    3. If you find his dirty clothes again on the couch near the TV (or anywhere else they aren't suppose to be either (depending on how charitable you feel):
    a. Unceremonially throw them into the middle of his bedroom.
    b. Put in a secret location where they can only be retrieved on Wednesdays (his day to do his laundry)/the weekend/next full moon/whenever. If his cell phone is in that pile, I'm sure that will remind him to keep his stuff in his own space.

20. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I am with iGav here. But ok, if you are sure that he will do his own laundry henceforth, your plan seems like a perfect solution.
    However, there is that if...

21. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think one of the reasons so many parents continue to do their kids' laundry when the kids are completely capable is that it's easier to just toss the clothes in the washer than it is to nag the kids to do it, so point well taken.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful comments, though.

22. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

I like your idea, especially the part where you make your son do his own laundry.

Let us know how it turns out!

23. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

buy him an iPhone when it comes out. I'm sure he'll forgive you.

24. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Not that it's my place to say, but I don't see why he shouldn't be doing it on his own in the first place. I've been doing laundry since I could reach the washing machine. :)

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I'm torn on this subject. I'm inclined to say even though you're doing his laundry if it wasn't in the laundry bin I'd say it is your fault for not checking the pockets.
    I don't think it makes sense to wash twice just so he does it himself. Just show him how and make him do all of it every other week or so.
    Or do it like we did it when I still lived at home:
    Simple rule in my house always was if it isn't in the bin it won't be washed. If I wanted something washed out of the ordinary I had to do it myself.

And yes I do think you should pay for the phone, if it had been in the bin like that I'd say otherwise.