Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
My wife recently got a new MacBook from the Apple store in Tampa 4 days ago. It has been great to have, however, there are several apps that randomly quit unexpectedly. iChat, Safari, iTunes, even a couple of games (Super Collapse, etc.) have quit like that.

Her friend who lives in DC recently got the same MacBook 2 weeks ago and she complains of the same thing. Hers was purchased from an Apple location in DC.

Any ideas as to what the cause is? Bad memory, board, or maybe a bad factory install? I just think its funny that both MacBooks purchased 1000 miles away and 2 weeks apart are doing the same thing. Any suggestions would be helpful. My iMac G5 is just as updated as the MacBooks (software wise) and it never has these issues.

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
I also was having the same thing

Strange you say that, I just bought a MacBook Pro and got it on Friday and it is doing the same thing. I'm doing a clean install on the computer so I can save about 6 gigs in hard drive space. I'm helping after that, the random exiting of programs will end. The programs that close me where also all apple programs. I will let you know If the clean install will stop the random shutdowns. Good luck!

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
Strange you say that, I just bought a MacBook Pro and got it on Friday and it is doing the same thing. I'm doing a clean install on the computer so I can save about 6 gigs in hard drive space. I'm helping after that, the random exiting of programs will end. The programs that close me where also all apple programs. I will let you know If the clean install will stop the random shutdowns. Good luck!

Please let me know for sure :) I was thinking bad hardware until I heard of her friends Mac doing it too. Maybe a bad image is in use at the factory. If your re-install fixes it... then that was probably the problem.

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
It's been a whole 24 hours

I did a clean install yesterday and I have been using my macbook pro for over 6 hours today and have not had any random exiting of apple programs. I hope this helps. :)

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
The first week or two that I had my MacBook, it had random app crashes as well. I also noticed the first time I repaired my permissions that there were a lot of things that got corrected. I also got another gig of ram as well. Since then, I haven't had any app crashes! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.