Random application folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mersea, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mersea macrumors regular

After installing software on my new iBook I've found that numerous application-related folders are appearing in the Documents folder. Examples include Microsoft User Data and EA Games. Is it safe to delete them or are they necissary for the well being of my applications? I thought app files were supposed to be neatly hidden in one big package on macs..

2. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

I believe the Microsoft User Data is personal settings in a Microsoft program you have on your iBook, its up to you if you want to delete that. And for EA Games, which game do you have installed?

3. mersea thread starter macrumors regular

The Sims 2. What happens if I delete the Microsoft User Data? The only MS program I have is Office, so would I loose my defaults for that? And wouldn't it just come back next time I open it up?

4. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

I don't have Office, but when I use Appleworks, a folder called Appleworks User Data is created, and I delete that always and nothing is affected. Check for other folders in that folder and tell me what they say.

5. mersea thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to hold the autorecover saves and office 'identities', its also where the normal template is saved.. I'm thinking I shouldn't touch it, but its a pity they don't save it elsewhere

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They're all keepers. Sorry, but moving them (or deleting them) will simply result in their reproduction next time you use the respective app (at best).

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

You can make those folders/files invisible.

One easy way to do it is to use a program called Xray

8. mersea thread starter macrumors regular