Random Freezing in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Kwyjibo, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

So I have panther on my 12" 867 pb with superdrive, a few months ago i started getting random lockups and I was forced to restart my computer, so about a month ago I did a clean reinstall and ran 10.3.1 because I thought 10.3.2 was the problem, low and behold it was not the problem because the same issue persisted. At night I used to like to leave my laptop in screensaver mode/ screen off with my away message up and now every time I do that over night I come back and the computer is frozen and i have to shut down via the power button and restart. Any ideas on what this is. I repaired permissions about two weeks ago after installing iLife and have had any big installs since.

2. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I tested this too without my 512mb stick and with the stock set of two 256mb chips and it seemed to happene equally as much

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Do you have any haxies? Clear dock, themechanger, etc? I customized Panther's interface and although the authors claim that their haxies were Panther compatible I've been having some lock ups as well.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

this isnt a random thing that happens in panther, or something caused by installing stuff.
    I've had similar problems especially when using the BitTorrent client for Mac OS X and X-Chat Aqua (look in software forum for thread). Reinstalls, new hardware, nothing will fix the problem.

I havent touched haxies and theme changers since 10.2.3, every install of any OS was always a complete erase and install...
    I'm hoping its an OS thing and that sooner or later it will be fixed.
    However, some people I know have never had that problem with Panther...

5. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if panther wasn't so fast
    i'd switch back to jaguar
    heres hoping that 10.3.3 fixes some of these stability issues

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Maybe another hardware problem

Are you sure it isn't some other hardware problem. Because if it freezes all the time, that isn't normal. I have never heard of a Mac freezing as much as yours is doing right now.

Have you checked your disk permissions under disk utility. Apps folder, Utilities folder, Disk Utility, click on your OSX disk, and repair permissions. Also, I have heard of freezes if you name your hard drive with a big name, or with too many spaces, or something of that nature can cause problems.

7. diamond macrumors newbie

Random freezes

Hello ,
    I've had serious freezes before too, on an 17"pwrbook, 1.3 Ghz.

The system looks up during printing and some times during moving files in the finder.
    Ran DriveX but problem still exists.

very unproductive,

:confused:

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Maybe another hardware problem

unless using external monitors causes this problem, its probably not hardware related.
    And i've done everything you've named, and if "blah" isnt short enough for a hard drive name then I dont know what is.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've had this problem on a brand new 15" Powerbook 1.25

It usually panics when it wakes up from sleep or if I have a USB/Firewire device attached. Most irritating.

I tried clearing it out (not hard since just iApps and Offixe X on it), spoke to the Apple Store in Houston and the general consensus was that there was a bigger hardware problem of some sort. They recommended taking it back to the reseller who had offered to replace it. I know that doesn't help you but you're definitely not alone!

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had this problem and I know how to solve it

My 17" iMac gave me this exact problem when I got it. The way I got the problem fixed was by taking it in to the local Apple Store and having the folks there do a hard reset of the power manager (this requires opening the computer; I don't know how to do it myself). After reassembling the machine and booting it, the random freezes/kernel panics stopped - COMPLETELY. I've used it for about 3 hours and it works like a charm - no crashes at all.