Random Iraq thoughts/questions

Discussion in 'Community' started by cleo, Oct 18, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

1) If/when we attack Iraq, will we/are we under obligation to formally declare war?

2) Isn't it against international law to specifically target the leader of a sovereign nation?

3) Is there really any hope for a democratized Middle East, or is this just about oil?

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

1) the president can actually have troops in iraq for like 80 days before he has to ask congress to declare war... but that would be political suicide. he will more than likely declare war before taking any major steps in the area.

2) i don't know about international law, but america historically has a policy of not targeting heads of state (please don't refer to that son of a bitch [hussein, that is] as the leader of a "sovereign nation" ever again). However, we don't live up to that policy. we got ngo dinh diem killed in Vietnam, and more recently we tried to kill Muamar Quadaffi of Libya. it was kind of a funny story there (morbidly). Quadaffi was making an ass of himself, supporting terrorrists and flaming the US. we "accidentally" exploded a bomb in one of his estates (unfortunately he wasn't there), and we killed several members of his family. We really haven't heard much from him since. but, the actual act of assassinating a learder is against official US policy.

3) no, yes.

americans have been incredibly stupid about exporting democracy. we have the arrogance to assume, often, that democracy is inherently perfect and that if we can make it work (haha!) then everyone else should be able to. and so, Russia is hanging on for dear life 10 years after the dissolution of the USSR, Africa is completely screwed up almost anywhere they even remotely tried to implement democracy (and most other places), and vietnam's south vietnam dropped like a fly after we left.

americans are shocked at how supported people like Saddam Hussein are. it's insane. it's like germany rooting for hitler. the people are duped into the greatest evil imaginable by a simple appeal to a horrible misinterpretation of a religion or of traditional values. and, as much as i hate to look at america this way, we are the scapegoat. that ass lives so well off with his people in poverty, buying weapons of war instead of much-needed food, writing off any suggestion that he is extravagant by saying "ooohhh look at those materialistic, godless americans!" funny stuff (morbidly).

yes this is just (okay, mostly, almost totally) about oil. as Calvin Coolidge said, "the business of america is business." Even if this is a nation of liberals, it's not by any means a nation of philanthropists. we do care about our money. it's in the constitution. it actually makes sense if you think about it democratically. everyone cares about money. if we saw someone doing something blatantly evil AND detrimental to our economy, of course we would all want to stop it (Gulf War, 1991) minus the people who have moral convictions. on the other hand, the atrocities pervading, say, african nations, such as AIDS in South Africa, get completely overlooked. no one can see the linkage. americans are intransigent. if you can't connect an issue to them, you can't expect them to get inflamed about it. it's tragic, maybe, but it makes sense.

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Random Iraq thoughts/questions

great thread, cleo!

1) the president better declare war if he is going to go into iraq...i hope this can be worked out diplomatically

2) i don't think it is legal or moral to take out a leader of a sovereign nation...but is iraq sovereign? i think hussein is a dictator

3) i think there will be peace in the middle east but i am not sure if all countries will be democracies...peace will definitely come many years before all middle eastern countries are democracies

i am sure there are communist countries out there that are peaceful, though communism would not be my personal choice;)

4. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

We don't need to declare war. That is the whole reason why Bush went to Congress first and got the confidence vote. We haven't declared war since WWII. Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm were not officially declared wars. Under law, Bush can send troops anywhere he wants, as Commander-In-Chief. But if it lasts longer than 30 (not sure of the exact number) days, he has to get congressional approval.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i guess even the most prolonged iraq conflict could in no way last as long as korea or vietnam, which many don't consider wars

6. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I would hope not and doubt it. The biggest thing that worries me, is the draft. At 26, I think I would be right at the high edge of it. I would fight for our country if asked, but I wouldn't EAGERLY go. Right now, Iraq is definitely our biggest threat. They have to be hiding something, or else they wouldn't keep stalling the UN with "discussions" and "meetings".

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you are on the ultimate high end of the draft age and by the time they get to you, you will be 27 and thus too old to go to war

the way the govt. works sooo slowly...i am former pentagon/ west coast hr person...you might even be 28 and be suitable for a rest home, walker, and magnifying glasses so you can check out the latest issue of sports illustrated swimsuit issue:p ;) :D