Random Kernal Panics QuadCore G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Redsand187, Dec 17, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I've searched, but I haven't found any info on a situation like mine. I have a 2.5ghz Quad Core G5, it is outfitted with 4 gigs of ram and 2 500gb HD's. Everything was purchased in December of 2005. Over the last 8 months or I have been getting random Kernal Panics. Sometimes the machine will be sitting unused for hours and then I'll come back to it and it's locked up. Other times do not seem to have any pattern, it can be with multiple programs open, just safari, or FCP. The machine always starts right back up with no problems and typically continues to operate for hours or days before reoccurring.

I did the hardware check, and everything tested good. I switched to blutooth keyboard and mouse, and have disconnected all USB devices.

I don't seen any signs of leakage.

I am pretty much to the point that I assume the logicboard is bad. But I don't really know how to confirm this.

Being that the machine always starts back up and never has problems consistently I really don't know what to think. I wish it could be solved with replacing the ram and/or hard drives. But I just don't know how to determine the actual problem. All I have read is a lot of speculation.

2. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Unless details of the kernel panic are posted, we can't help too much :( I would think that the details regarding the kernel panic would be posted in Console, but I never actually have had a kernel panic, so I don't know exactly where people copy and paste their reports that are so often seen. EDIT - Could be just by taking pictures or recording by hand.

You've also reset PRAM/NVRAM and repaired permissions? I doubt that its the problem in this case, but most certainly worth doing.

3. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Not that looking over your hardware wasn't a good idea, but nearly all kernel panics are software related. Run the disk utility and see if that catches anything. Also, how long has it been since you've done a clean OS install?

4. thread starter macrumors member

Well, that's comforting to know. It has been a long time since I've done a clean install, maybe I will try that.

Next time it happens I will try to get get a copy of the details. Unfortunately, I am leaving tomorrow for the holidays, so I won't be able to play with the machine until after the first of the year.

5. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, don't let the KPs trouble you over the holidays. If its as simple as Hrududu mentioned, then you're probably alright. You might also want to try cleaning out dust on any parts of the computer, specifically the graphics card as well.

6. thread starter macrumors member

I blow the entire machine out with my air compressor when it first started acting up, with no avail. It probably could use it again, but I don't believe that to be the issue.

It's not really my main machine any more as I have a MBP and a MacBook that I use most of the time. But it still get used for video projects and other "real," work. It is still very capable for my needs so I'd really like to keep it in tip-top shape. If I were to replace it, it would be with a 27" iMac i7 as I couldn't justify a Mac Pro anymore.

7. thread starter macrumors member

This is what is shown in the problem reporter after experiencing a panic today:
    The machine worked fine at 12:45 when I left it. I came back at 6:20 to find it locked up while asleep.

8. macrumors regular

Sounds like a bad ram stick. Take out one stick at a time and restart.
    This should help.

9. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Sounds a lot like the problems I was having with my Dual 2.7. It was kind of acting funny for probably about 2-3 months before it finally took a crap. When you come back and its locked up are the fans running full speed? Mine had a coolant leak, and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Take another look at that, and maybe next time it's running take a peak at your temperatures using iStat or something similar.