random sound problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonD25, May 26, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

It seems that every once in a while, my sound effects don't work in iChat or Finder. When someone sends me a message or I move something in finder or empty my trash, etc. I hear nothing even though my volume is all the way up. But I can still listen to music in iTunes. Anyone know what's up?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does the sound come back after a while? There's a core audio glitch in Tiger that stops some sounds from being played. It's easily fixed though. All you have to do is open up Garageband and the close it again. :)

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

ahh welcome to the club! QuigleyBC and I have had this issue for a while now. The only volume that works are music and the volume up/down sounds. All sound effects are gone!

We have theories abound, but we're at a stalemate right now... the only solution appears to be a restart.

Personal Message me if you find a solution! I've just been praying for a software update that fixes this.

4. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly the same problem I have. A restart fixes it, but that just seems like such a drastic thing to fix something so minor, especially considering it's just gonna stop working again anyways.

Oh, and mad jew, it doesn't come back unless I restart. I tried opening Garageband, and that didn't fix it.

5. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

That's a shame that it's happening on new intel machines too, it happens on my G5 (sig).

Well actually, that could be a good thing! Maybe it's a software issue, and an update will save us! Our other struggling brother, QuigleyBC, suffers the problem on a PowerMac - so it's not the iMac's fault!

Good luck man.