randomly losing AirPort connection on PowerBook.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Feb 1, 2005.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i've just been experiencing some very strange and random behavior from my PowerBook... since the latest security update possibly. i did not have this problem before that, but i'm not sure if it started immediately after the update.

i've got a 1.25GHz AlPB running 10.3.7 with the latest security update, and for no apparent reason i will just lose my AirPort connection? :confused:

this has got me stumped... i don't have a clue what it could be.

well i'm going to check out Apple's KnowlegeBase, but if anyone knows what's going on here, any help will be appreciated. this is driving me nuts... :X
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you checked that the base station firmware is the latest version?

Any new sources of interference around? Neighbour with a new cordless perhaps?
  3. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    900 Mhz cordless phones may screw up your wireless network, true. Did on mine.

Have you tried changing the channel?
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Is there a microwave between you and the AirPort base? Do you have 2.4GHz phones? Or anything else that runs on 2.4GHz?

Try changing the channel you're using on the AirPort.
  5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    okay, i've checked some things out:

the AirPort Express has the v6.1 firmware. i checked Apple's Support site and they said that the latest is v6.1.1, but then later in the document they refer to it as v6.1. so i'm guessing i do have the latest version, i do remember updating it a few months ago.

we do have 2 different sets of cordelss phones. one runs on 2.4GHz, and i think that may have something to do with the interferance. i have changed the channel once before, with slightly better results. it's on channel 6 now, what do the channels mean anyway? any particular channel i should use, or just keep trying different ones?

i also turned on "Interface Robustness" on the basestation, and signal strength is on full.

so far today there haven't been many calls through that cordless phone, so i think that's got something to do with it...

but the funny thing is this - my bro has a PC laptop, and he's connected to the same AirPort Express base station, and when i lose my connection, his doesn't even have any problems (or so he tells me).

well, that is mysterious. thanks for the help and tips so far, i'll have to keep investigating this i suppose...
  6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    have you tried checking to see if your airport card is fully inserted or that the antenna connection is solid? it could be a coincidence that something came loose at the same time you downloaded the security update. also, i've found that turning on interference robustness actually decreases the consistency of my connection.

hope you find a solution