Randon icons for new files on Mac OS 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ursli, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ursli macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2004
    Hi all

a few weeks ago, random icons started appearing whenever I exported pictures out of iPhoto, or for the files in connected devices, or created a new file somehow. Essentially, the icons don't match the file type (eg blue folders with a Mac OSX 'X' on them for .JPG files) or are completely unrecognizable.

I have no idea how/why this happens, or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Sorry if this question has a ridiculously obvious answer.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It is not a sign of anything bad, but there is no fix for it. This is a bug in every version of 10.3's Finder that Apple never fixed (though it's not in 10.4).

There are two ways to temporarily clear it up: A restart will put things back to normal and keep it from happening for several days, at least (in my experience, the computer needed to be on for a week or two before the icons would start to go funky). Or, I believe if you force-quit the Finder, it will fix the problem for a short while.

I just started ignoring it at some point, but it's hard to believe Apple never dealt with it all the way through 10.3's lifecycle.
  3. ursli thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh well. Thanks for the info -it's good to know this isn't due to anything freaky besides Apple's own freakiness.

4. karichelle macrumors member

May 26, 2006
    This happens to me on occasion and I always assumed I had done something bad to my installation somehow without realizing it...it's nice to know I didn't. ;)

It seems I usually end up with the iPod icon, "half scrolled"...the bottom half on top and the top half on the bottom. It's really weird.