Randy Couture

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Durden, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Not sure if there are many MMA fans here on the MacRumors forums, but if so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the UFC fights this weekend.

Randy "The Natural" Couture, at age 43 fought the much younger and way larger and stronger Tim Sylvia for the Heavy weight title. Couture dominated the champ for five 5 rounds (25 minutes) and won a unanimous decision. He almost knocked out Sylvia within about 15 seconds of the first round and from then on just completely dominated fight.

One of the most exciting fights I've seen. All the drama surrounding the fight, Couture's retirement, his having left the Heavy weight division because of huge guys like Sylvia, his losing twice to Liddell, etc., all came together with an excellent fight. Wow. Couldnt help but cheer for the guy.

Anyone else watch the fights? More thoughts?

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

Finally caught up with this fight last night, and it was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Couture was just so technical: very accurate, very fast - he didn't even seem to get hurt that badly. That first shot that put Sylvia down was a shock - not least to Sylvia; he did well not to lose right there.
    Was just looking for tickets for UFC70 at the Manchester MEN: £200/seat and not even on the floor. Think I'll catch it on TV...

3. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Not to take anything away from Randy -- he is amazing -- but Silva fought like crap. Did he even lift his leg? I don't recall any kicks. He looked like he was basically there to get a paycheck and see how long he could last. My friends were commenting it looked like he was throwing the fight. Granted I think Randy could beat Silva on his best day, but still. Props to Randy, he deserves it. I wish Gracie would attempt a comeback but I think the style now is too different.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am a huge fan of MMA, i am training MMA and have been doing so for 6 years. I just saw the fight on PPV and it was an amazing fight from Randy, he did everything right and it was hard to see a flaw in his strategy.

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

His early kicks were caught and saw him floored. I think he gave up after that. I see what you mean about his general demeanor - he just seemed slow - but that first knockdown must have really had an effect: he didn't seem to want to take any risks after that.

6. Mr. Durden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Where do you train? I train in Denver. Relatively new at it but I absolutely love it. I'm training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mui Tai Kick Boxing. I've had to take a bit of a break over the last month because I cant quite afford the expenses. $100 a month for each ($200 total), + equipment. However, I am getting a bonus this month and plan on putting it towards getting back i nthe gym.

As for the fight, Im not so sure Sylvia looked bad so much as Couture made him look bad. That first punch certainly got his attention, and for the rest of the fight couture was a step ahead of him at every turn. Now Im looking forward to watching Diego Sanchez next month (I think), and then Tito Ortiz some time around May. Seems like one of my favorites are fighting practically every month.

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Not a Sylvia fan at all, but I thought that I read/heard from somewhere (Sherdog maybe?) that Tim Sylvia said that he fought tentatively because of a training injury before the fight. That said, it was a great technical fight by Couture... though I think that Mirko Filipovic will beat him when given the shot.

I really wish though that Dana White and the UFC would lure Fedor away from Bodog... what a huge waste of talent.

I'm really excited about the next PPV... the winner of the Diego Sanchez/Josh Koscheck should get a #1 contender fight against Matt Hughes.

8. bams27 macrumors member

bams27

wow?

really? i that randy was retired? and he just beat sylvia just now? he is ageless!haha :D

9. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

He was retired... but decided to return. Normally I don't like it when good sports figures retire and come back because it tarnishes their legacy, but in this case, well, he shut me up with that completely one-sided fight.