Range Extender for Non-Airport Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by antonlamont45, Apr 3, 2007.

1. antonlamont45 macrumors newbie

I have a router which is not an Airport. I have an Airport card in my Mac mini. Right now the reception is spotty, so I would like to get a range extender/repeater to improve the signal.

Can anyone recommend an extender which is EASY to set up with the Mac? I was thinking Airprt xpress but then I read that it doesn't play well with non airport routers. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Well, have you tried any of these?

1. Buy new antennas- It worked slightly for me, not really worth the $20 or so I paid for it at Wal-Mart though.

2. Position the router better?- If this is possible at all, you probably have stuff wired to it so, not likely.. but if everything is wireless try moving it in the middle

3. A signal booster? - I've heard good things about cantennas, not sure if they connect to the routers or computers though. But i've heard it does wonders.

I'm new to Macs so thats pretty much all I can give you, that I know won't have problems due to the airport/router thing.

3. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

i recently had to pick up an extender/repeater too
    i chose the belkin http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278082
    no setup issues.. works great!

4. antonlamont45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! --Does it have to be connected to anything (besides power) in extender/repeater mode?

I already bought a more powerful antenna but it doesn't seem to help enough.

5. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

No it just needs power while in repeater mode..
    if you wanted it as an access point, you'd need to connect it to your wirless router.
    just a tip - turn off all security settings before setup (you'll setup security throught the repeater)
    i picked mine up from a zseller on amazon, btw

6. antonlamont45 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, i just bought one on amazon. thanks for the advice.

7. natemonster macrumors member

natemonster

don't get and airport express. it just added a wireless network to my house and has way less reception than my main one.

8. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I have been wondering this same question. If you used this belkin repeater, do you actually have to add it to your network? Or does it just automatically grab the signal and repeat it?

In other words, what exactly is involved in the setup?