Rant against Dish Network

Discussion in 'Community' started by AnewMac, Jan 24, 2005.

1. AnewMac macrumors regular

I signed up for Dish Network a year ago because it was cheaper than cable. Dish Network was running ads about how cable companies gouge you and are always raising prices. Today Dish Network informs me they are raising my bill by 2 bucks a month. Anyone else getting their prices raised? Now Dish and the local cable is very comparable in prices, but to show they care they sent us a free pay per view coupon for an over-priced old movie. Is it possible to live without cable t.v? I have only heard of that in books.. :mad:

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

So you orignially switched to Dish Network because it was $2 per month less than cable? :confused: And I thought *I* was a penny-pincher!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if its too much, then get rid of it, i live just fine without tv, thats right, no TV at ALL, i have the internet to glean the news from and it works just fine for me

for me there are very few programs that are worthwhile to watch, and i can live without those few or wait for them to come out on DVD eventually

4. khammack macrumors regular

Damn skippy! I lived from 1994 to 1999 without television; much of that time I didn't even have a television set. Eventually I spent $20 on an old color television set circa 1985 (which worked remarkably well).

Unfortunately, my sister in law who stayed with us bought us a satellite dish as a "present".

I'd get rid of it if my wife wasn't addicted to HGTV. Actually, I'm tempted to get rid of it purely because watching HGTV gives her way too many expensive ideas.

-kev

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, I am going to go the other way here, I cannot live without my 100 plus channels plus sports that my dish provides me, but that is just me. Just thought that I would give an alternate point of view. :D

6. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

I know 2 bucks whoopie. Its just the fact they sold us the system by saying how cable is outrageous and jacking up prices. Then they go and raise prices within the year we have it. Now it is 40 bucks for 50 channels, with 10 being QVC types. I may have to go with just the internet route.

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

well, you can do what i do and just not pay for it. Im not going to get into it, but there are better ways :cool:

8. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting...I am intrigued by your mystery...

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I love satellite (Dish network, BTW) for the following channels:

History
    History International
    Discovery
    Discovery Time
    Discovery Wings (now the Military Channel)
    BBC America
    Speed (sometimes, when it isn't NASCAR)
    Comedy Central
    ESPN

It's expensive to get the channels I want but most of the 200+ channels are crap, IMHO. But I lived without cable my whole life until 4 years ago - and when I go off to grad school I'll be without TV entirely. I'll read books.

:D

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Eh, I don't watch TV at all, unless I'm extremely boring. And I always feel guilty about it afterwards - a whole day wasted watching programs that don't matter, and that I'll forget after a few days, what the point? When I get to live on my own, you won't see anything TV-related on my bill, amigo.

(A TV set, however, is a WHOLE another story. I plan to get the biggest one I can get my paws on, and watch DVDs and play games on it. Just no TV)

11. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

as a 20 year old I have a hard time saying this but I think i could live without cable. All of the shows I care about, most of them I can download. and if I was in an area with over the air HD it would be even easier

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    living without tv is possible i do it :) of course if there are nice shows i just dl them, but i only watch tv when im back home for breaks

13. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good, I think Dish Network just lost a customer. Plus with the 500 bucks I'll save a year I can buy more goodies for my mac!

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Really I could be just fine with out cable TV. Before I went to collage I went the well over 10 years with out cable TV then I came to collage last year went a semster with out TV (did not really like that to much) then the 2nd semster I had cable TV and I still dont watch much of it and the little I do watch I could be fine with out. I did add a TV in card to my computer after my first semster with a bad room mate would only watch shows he wanted to (one can only stomach so many reality shows) and he never let me watch the few shows that I wanted to watch which was like 1-2 shows a week that I like to watch and that was only if I was there. Move out mid semster to my own room got a TV over Xmas and then hardly watch it at all. Still dont watch it much.

I watch Adult swim during at night but I been watching that less and less
    Spike TV in the morning for 7days and Star Trek. But both of them are mostly when I have the free time at night or bettween my morning classes and I could miss be with out with out problem.

I think some people think they have to have TV to live. Now highspeed internet is another story and I dont think I could stand to be with out that

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Only $2?.....mine was just raised $3:) I've had Dish since mid-May of 2004.....had to sign a one-year contract for HD and DVR services. 8 months later they are already raising prices.

16. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

3 bucks! I wonder how many millions of dollars some execs are going to get. I thought as technology became older it was to become cheaper, how can t.v. be bucking this trend? Its the same with the phone industry. Maybe I'll go with an antennea and just get three grainy channels in this hole I call home!