Rant Against FedEx

Discussion in 'Community' started by clayj, Jan 23, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    OK, I've been thinking about doing this for a while... and I think this will be a good forum to make some grievances known. I told the folks at FedEx that I would be telling others what they've done, and there are a lot of folks here.

In the past 6 months, FedEx has severely screwed up every time they've delivered something to me... here are the particulars:
    • Early summer (Sony DVD changer from SonyStyle.com): Package is shipped via FedEx Ground. I work from home, so I stay home all day to make sure I can receive the package. 4 PM rolls around, still no FedEx driver. I check the FedEx web site, and it says that a delivery attempt was made... yet no one knocked on my door, no one buzzed me from my building's lobby, there's no delivery attempt notice. Nothing. I call FedEx and arrange to drive all the way out to their hub to pick up the package, after they initially claim that I'll have to wait until the following Monday to get it from them.
    • Fall (Sony LCD monitor from CDW): Package is shipped FedEx Priority Overnight on Friday, to arrive on Monday morning. 10:30 rolls around, no package. I check the FedEx web site, they (again) indicate that a delivery attempt was made. Again, no knock on the door, no delivery attempt notice, nothing. I call FedEx AGAIN and raise hell with them. They feign ignorance, tell me I may have to wait an extra day for another delivery attempt. I tell them this is unacceptable, and they get the monitor to me within a couple of hours.
    • Early this month ($3000 painting shipped from Seattle): Package is shipped via FedEx Ground. Again, I am home... this time, though, their web site says it was DELIVERED. No sign of it at my front door, no sign of it in my building's lobby. I panic, thinking that it may have been stolen. Call FedEx, they put me on hold for 10 minutes, then come back and tell me "Oh, he hasn't actually been to your building yet." What?? When he does arrive with the package, he tells me he scans all his packages as DELIVERED before he even leaves the terminal. Great.
    • Last week (Mac mini shipped from Apple... so I'm on-topic!): Package is shipped FedEx Priority Overnight. Again, the 10:30 deadline passes... no delivery. When the FedEx driver finally shows up at around 1 PM, she claims "I lost your box somewhere in the back of my truck."
    4 deliveries, 4 screwups. Anyway, I think the lessons here are:

1. The FedEx web site is NOT to be trusted.
    2. FedEx lies about making delivery attempts... perhaps in order to get them off the hook for not doing their job properly.
    3. Don't use FedEx.

Anyone else have any dirty FedEx laundry to air out? This is the place to do it. :)
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Oh! I'm so sorry you're having such bad experiences! :(

Just out of curiousity, have you had better experiences with another carrier? I have had similar inconsistencies once or twice, although a package has never really gotten fully lost for me, but both in terms of delivery and the tracking system, I have found FedEx to be better than DHL/AirEx and, to a lesser extent, UPS. UPS is close in my book to as good....

Recently I've been having strange trouble with UPS. Almost every time they deliver a package, the first try, they leave a "will return" slip instead of leaving the package with the office, and then they do the latter on the second trial, basically making everything take an extra day. But that's nowhere near as bad as a lost mac mini. They're taking responsibility for that, though, right? And identifying it as lost to Apple so you won't have any trouble getting a new one? Still stinks to get a new toy and then have it be lost before you can even play with it. :(
  3. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    FedEx has, when we were home, left stuff in our mailbox, which is against federal law as well as being a stupid idea (the item in the envelope was a multi-thousand dollar check from our broker).
  4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Actually, she did deliver it to me... her "reason" for being late was that she misplaced the package in the back of the truck.
  5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    ive never liked fedex either. I much prefer ups and DHL. If i had a choice, which unforunatly we dont when dealing with apple, Id go with DHL. They are fast, realiable, and ahve great customer service.
  6. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2002
    I had a problem with FedEx in Charlotte too. Same situation, I work at home and they claimed they made a delivery attempt when no one ever came.

I went out to the FedEx facility on Wendover and got my package in addition to complaining. A few days later someone from FedEx called to discuss the matter with me.

I've moved since then to another part of town, but I haven't had any problems.
  7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Just want to point out a note here about FedEx Ground...while they are owned by Federal Express, they are independently owned and operated. FedEx Ground are franchises of Federal Express. I know because I worked for a mail services company and we used FedEx Ground's services and I've had an interesting conversation with the driver on several occasions. Which means policies are pretty lax, unfortunately.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So FedEx ground shipments actually go on different trucks than FedEx air? That's really interesting... I didn't know that.

I think a lot of it comes down to local quality, even with the nationalized portion of the companies. Just depends on whether the driver on your route for that company has a work ethic or not.... :(
  9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Lately everything I get through FedEx seems to be oppened or in a horriblely torn apart box.

I ordered digital camera, memory stick, case, and some photo paper. I got the box and the most of the top and part of the bottom of the box were opened. Everything inside was perfect. I live far back from the road on a rural street in northern CT. No one would be at my house.

Another time I ordered some shoes. Again the box was opened.

Another pair of shoes- box looked like it was put through a food processor.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I ship and receive packages with DHL, FedEx, UPS, and USPS regularly. They each have their own unique problems, and I've found its largely due to the how their local sort facilities are managed.

Here's my "scientific" ratings for each service.

UPS @ Home: :)
    UPS @ College: :rolleyes:

DHL @ Home: :D
    DHL @ College: :D

FedEx/FedEx International @ Home: :confused:
    FedEx/FedEx International @ College: :D

FedEx Ground @ Home: :mad:
    FedEx Ground @ College: :(

FedEx can be a disaster to have to deal with. Their "Home", "Ground", "International", and "Air" divisions are all seperate. However, "International" and "Air" are delivered on the same truck in my town. If you call them, and accidentally get the wrong "division" you have to start all over. :eek:
  11. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Having lived in various places over the years, and having used all of the major delivery services, I'd have to agree with joshuawaire that quality varies wildly with time and location.

From my personal usage of the private carriers, I've been most happy with FedEx (not ecstatic, just generally more happy than annoyed) and reasonably happy with DHL and UPS, although all have screwed a few things up for me.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), the service which has performed the most reliably from place to place and year to year has been USPS.
  12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I live in NC too and like fedx but never never never ship fedx ground if you want it this year.

But have found them more dependable than any other "overnight" nightmare.

It is always a crap shoot.

Sorry for your problems but they seem to be local, probably a reflection of the local management. find the one that works for your location and be loyal as hell till it goes bad-then switch.
  13. Super20 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2004
    Council Bluffs, IA
    I'm going to switch back to the old US postal system pretty soon here. I ordered a palm from overstock, they shipped it using DHL. Supposedly left last monday. Said it should be delivered on friday. Nothing. The thing left Utah and is in Ohio right now. I LIVE IN OMAHA! The thing went right by me. Doesn't make sense. Plus, the tracking on DHL's website really sucks. Really slow to update.
  14. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    I second that on DHL. Most of the mail I send from work is thru FedEx, but if I have to send some REALLY important document (ie: recently I had to send my passport abroad to get a visa), I use DHL.
  15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  16. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    fed ex international is good, UPS and DHL as well

but i dont trust fed ex ground
  17. Orage macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2005
    En Suisse
    Worse than the worst...

The absolute WORST so called "express" delivery service is TNT (which Apple loves to use over here in Europe).

Our company uses them as well from time to time.. delivery time for "express" packages ranges anywhere from 2 days to 2 WEEKS... I have had packages wait on their dock for a week once... (and no, it wasn't customs problems, only TNT incompetence)

And there is no way to:

A. Contact anyone at TNT (Whether by email, fax, phone...)
    B. Track a package (except through Apple's useless info on their site)

WHY, oh WHY did Apple pick TNT in Europe?

Oh yeah, I forgot, they are really cheap.

$3000 computer and they pick the cheapest and worst delivery service possible.. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  18. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i generally rate ups over the others, although since i moved out of the city, i've been very happy with fedex too...i ordered my canon 20d and fedex stopped by when i was out (of course it was the only time i was out all day) so i called them up, and they had the local driver call me. i arranged with him to meet him wherever he was in the village and picked up my package. i've done that twice now. great stuff.

usps is the worst though. when in the city (nyc) they lost so much of my stuff, whereas fedex and ups were generally very good, especially once they get to know you personally too.
  19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    For me it is anyone but UPS. In my area FedEx has been great (both divisions). A good alternative is the USPS Priority Mail.
  20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004

Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!

The United States Postal Service, which does handle letters and packages, and offers many delivery options, is a Government agency. Obvious, I know. But here's the catch - they are NOT liable for lost mail or packages. They will make an "honest faith" effort to find a missing letter or package, but if it's lost, oh well.

They are NOT responsible NOR liable.

I have lost at least 2-3 packages that I have mailed to my relatives in Tennessee (I live in Connecticut) and the packages never arrived. I went to my local post office to complain, and after much discussion, the counter person opened a book of postal regulations and there, in black and white, were the words, the USPS cannot be held responsible for lost or misdirected mail.

I NEVER send packages with the United States via the USPS. I use UPS for ground packages and Fedex for overnight shipments.
  21. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Well this is common with any carrier. The amount of packages that go through their conveyor belts is overwhelming (I've seen a tour of my local UPS facility when I was considering taking a job there), and reportedly, it's not uncommon for boxes and packages to get caught, which can cut up the boxes.
  22. Toeknee macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    I dunno its still quite impressive ordering an iPod on wednesday, it shipping on thursday and getting to me in San Antonio before 9:30am on monday. All of this with FedEx Ground, maybe its because i'm close to the distribution center/airport or something. Over most of the delivery services here are pretty good about not screwing you over.
  23. Kmacripple macrumors member

Jan 20, 2005
    Topeka, IN (aka Amish country)
    I had a terrible time with FedEx Ground last month with my iBook. They couldn't find my address not once, but twice. I even called and gave them directions for the second delivery attempt. Then worst of all they delivered it to the wrong people on the complete other side of town! Thankfully they were nice people I went to high school with, and brought the iBook to me. If they could find my address, then why couldn't FedEx. When I called them to find out what happened, they said I changed the address. The box even had the correct address on the outside. Unbelievable.:mad: I am very nervous to ever order anything that is sent FedEx
  24. xgsrpg macrumors member

Jul 4, 2004
    I've really never had any problems with UPS or FedEx ever, but I always think of FedEx higher because when I ordered a game I was anxiously expecting, the FedEx guy even came in the middle of a huge snowstorm. Although it was around 7pm (the shipping option was FedEx Ground, so it wasn't supposed to get to me around 10:30am or anything like that like Overnight), I always admired that effort. The snow was really bad out there and I really expected them to not deliver, but sure enough my bell rung and there was FedEx...

Now the U.S. Postal Service is a different story... every single CD in a jewel case shipped through USPS, no matter how padded with bubble sheets, has always arrived CRACKED. Makes me mad...
  25. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think the government is going through your stuff... Don't order anything that would tip them off...

I think the bad quality with shipping in general is due to companies and employees are generally unwilling to accept and apologize for their mistakes. They can never be wrong, so it must be your fault...

I personally haven't had any problems shipping anything at all in my life...

I did have to chase down an Airborne Express truck once, but that was my fault...